Sunday 14 March 2021

Weekend Reads: What I am Reading & A LOT of What My Sister is Reading!

 Hello Loves! 

How is your weekend going?

All good I hope. 

I am currently reading two books, both on my Kindle. Both very, very different from each other. 

My sister however is acing her reading goals this weekend. 

She is some 4 books behind schedule on her Good Reads Reading Challenge and is determined to fix that. Plus, she has a free, as free from work weekend this time around and is all set to read and read some more. 

So she's been on fire. 

Let's see what she's read so far into the weekend. 







Rebirth by Jahnavi Barua: I read this last month and loved it, so I pretty much made her read this too. She read it in pretty much one siting yesterday and loved it as much as I did. 
It's essentially a mother's conversation and musing to her unborn child. 
Stories of her childhood, friendships and Assam and Bangalore. 
A lovely book which both of us highly recommend. 



Pilgrimage by Ira Singh: Another book I recently read and loved and insisted that my sister read and she did. All of today she spent with this short novel and it's protagonist and she loved it. 
It's a very book this one, told in three parts, we look into the life Monica at three important moments in her life. 
Short but stirring and very interesting.
It's the kind of book you just inhale. 
Highly recommend. 

Now onto what I am reading this weekend. 


A Spoonful of Curds by Bharati Jagannathan: A collection of short stories set in Tamil homes and families and dealing with themes of family, marriage, love, relationships and community. I am around halfway through and I am quite enjoying these stories and this world. Will let you know how I get on with the rest of the stories. 



The Good Girls by Sonia Faleiro: Now my other read this weekend is a bit of a heavy one. Non-fiction about the alleged rape and murder of two young girls in UP back in 2014. I didn't read a lot about this case when it was first making headlines, I avoided it on purpose for my own mental peace. I just couldn't stomach another case of brutality and violence against women in our country. So there is so much I don't know and don't understand and this book is such a well-written, well-researched and nuanced and sensitive deep dive into this world. 

This isn't an easy book to read. 
But it's an important one. It's so important to understand this world and its rules. To see the real India in some sense. So I am very glad to be reading this. 

TW: Rape and Violence. 





Today we were blessed with some surprise showers and some thunderstorms. It was perfect and lovely and it made me so incredibly happy. 

Nothing like the rains to cheer me up! 


I hope your weekend is going well too. 

I am going back to my books.

Happy Reading Folks. 

No comments: