Sunday 31 May 2020

Monthly Favourites: May 2020.

Hello! 



Another month is over and what an inordinately long month this has felt like. 
Seriously, some of the things that happened in the beginning of the month feel like they happened in another lifetime. 
I have quite a few favourite things from this month, so let's get started. 

1. Favourite Web Series: This was a month of binge watching things and losing myself in another world. I honestly watched more than I read this month, which is not my usual normal. But in this new normal it's sure been nice to just quiet my mind and find a story, a world beside mine to concentrate on. 

Paatal Lok was pretty much the best thing I watched all month. It's so good. Dark and hard to watch at times but so is our reality. All the buzz is justified. Please watch it if you haven't already. 



Never Have I Ever was a happy revelation. I know everyone kept buzzing about this since it came out, but I am not big on romance or desi stories in America. But this one really made me happy and laugh and connect with Devi and her shenanigans. A fun way to spend my day. I am totally Team Ben,  Paxton is hot but Ben is smart, kind and rich..God I sound like a desi aunty myself but Devi, pick the rich boy! 
:) 


2. Reading: I read in spurts and stops this month. I went a whole week without reading a single word. Which never happens to me. I am always, always reading. But it kinda felt good to let a week go by without finding my next read. 
Then I read 3 books in 3 days. 
I've read some 10 books this month...not my best but I did read some incredible books, which is always a good thing be. 
Also I treated myself to some new ebooks both in the beginning of the month and the end, all thanks to Harper Collins having very generous ebook sales. 
I think I bought around 16 or 17 books in total. 
Yay! 

3. Favourite Food- Black Chana Chaat: As per normal, well new normal, most of our food is being cooked at home. One of my favourite things to eat all month, given how awfully hot it's been has been this super quick, easy, healthy and delicious chaat
All you need is boiled black chana, boiled potatoes, tomatoes, cucumber, pomegranate, lemon juice and a sweet and tangy tamarind chutney. 
Mix all things together and spice with salt, pepper, black salt and a little red chilli powder. 
This makes my chatkari heart so happy. 
:) 
Plus it's perfect for days when you don't want to sweat and cook something in a hot kitchen. 

The other thing I've loved eating this month is this chicken soup, the recipe is from the family tea gardens and while its amazing to eat bowlfuls of it in the cold weather, it was not perfect for a hot May day but it was still delicious. 

4. Writing: After absolute ages I went back to writing this month. I didn't write a whole lot but I started up again and picked up where I left off and it felt so good! Seriously, I don't even know why I stop, this lazy or unmotivated shit needs to go. I am hoping to write more in June and maybe even finish my nearly done novel. 
Wish me luck. 

5. My Makeshift Bed: Since the beginning of May, ever since it got too hot to handle. I moved myself to my living room full time. I slept in my bedroom, which has been AC-less thanks to my AC dying days after the lockdown started, for as long as I could. But May in Bombay is no joke, so reluctantly, I moved bed, pillows and plushie to the living room, where I've made myself a dinky bed set up. It's actually quite cozy and I have been sleeping well. Plus it's right by my books so colour me pleased. 

6. Retro Films and TV Shows: This month has been all about letting nostalgia make me feel better. Things from re-watching old films and 90s Doordarshan TV shows have helped way more than brand new content. 
Things I've Loved: 

Karz
Gumnaam 
Kashish 
Flop Show 
&
Raaz, well it's not the oldest but it still made me happy. 

7. Hindi Film Roasts on YouTube: The one thing that's made me laugh the hardest this month have been YouTube Channels that roast bad Hindi films. 
Yogi Baba. 
Only Desi
Both these folks make hilarious videos talking about some seriously strange Hindi films. 
There is quite a bit if swearing, so if you are sensitive to that maybe don't watch but if you love all things Bollywood and bad Bollywood films. Please go check them out. 


My other favourite things were

Mother's Day 
Afternoon Naps 
Pomegranates 
Cold Showers 
Video Calls with my Parents
Iced-Coffee 
Chai and Biscuits 
Kaeri 
Haircuts at Home 

Goodbye May.
Thank you for the small joys. 
I hope you guys had a decent-ish month too. 
:) 



No comments: