Monday 15 July 2019

Book Haul: Books of May 2019 + Mini-Reviews.


Hello! 

Let's play some serious catch shall we? 

I bought all of these beautiful books back in May and hadn't gotten around to sharing them on here. 
I did do an IGTV video hauling these and some other books I've bought since, I have really been enjoying doing book hauls over on my IGTV but I still, obviously want to share my new books on here as well. 

So let's jump into all the new books and some little reviews too. 


Short stories set in Assam, I am going to read these in August for my Indian Books in August. Yay! 


Leila by Prayaag Akbar: God this book! 
This damn book. I read this in pretty much one sitting and scared out of my mind. Speculative fiction meets dystopian meets this is happening right now. This book will move you and scare you and I hope make me see the problem plaguing us. 
I also have since seen the Netflix show and it's not the best and so different from the book. It's still unnerving and disturbing but its too slow and way too repetitive. 
The book is loads better. 
Highly recommend. 


Read and reviewed. 


I am so looking forward to these collection of short stories from Manav Kaul, I tried reading his stories in Hindi but I read Hindi so slowly it infuriates me. So I am very glad these are now available in English. 


Stories centred around Delhi, yes please! 
I really want to visit Delhi this year and I am going to read stories set in Delhi and manifest the trip into being. 


I have always had a somewhat of a soft corner for this idiot. I just think all of this stupid ideas and his historic infamy always intrigued me. 
I am looking forward to this book. 


Added two more of these Faber Stories books to my collection, which brings up my current collection to 12 of these short story books. 
I read Terrific Mother and it was nice..it was OK. I am finding that a lot of these books are a hit or miss...but still they serve as a good sampling of a writer's work. 


This was honestly a cover buy. I haven't read any Paulo Coelho since I read The Alchemist back in the day. So I am looking forward to this book which is supposed to be fairly autobiographical and is set primarily in the 60s and 70s. 


More diverse reads from the length and breath of this country. 
Cannot wait to get to these stories. 


Ismat Chughtai is one of the first women writers I read from India, I first read her short stories when I was 14 and they blew my mind. This is the fist ever full length novel of hers I've ever read. Well novella length actually and they are so good. They have a lot of of the same elements her shorted fiction does- strong women, rebellious women and family dynamics and society. 
Also, how gorgeous is this book?


I spent most of my Saturday trying to get into this book but no...it just didn't work out. 
I got two stories in and I just couldn't get into the tone of this book. 
I may pick it up later..but not something I am in the mood for it right now. 


BOOKS BOUGHT/// 

1. Cosmopolitian by Akhil Sharma 

2. Terrific Mother by Lorrie Moore 

3. Diary of a Malyali Madman by N. Prabhakaran 

4. A Full Night's Thievery by Mitra Phukan 

5. Leila by Prayaag Akbar 

6. The Satapur Moonstone by Sujata Massey 

7. A Night in the Hills by Manav Kaul 

8. The Walls of Delhi by Uday Prakash 

9. Muhammed Bin Tughlaq by Anuja Chandramouli 

10. Hippie by Paulo Coelho 

11. These Hills Called Home Temsula Ao

12. The Heart Breaks Free & The Wildone by Ismat Chughtai 

So much happy reading in my future. 
:O

No comments: