Monday 29 July 2019

Book Haul: Books from Speaking Tiger Books.

Hello! 

Back in May, Speaking Tiger Books was having a summer sale and had some amazing deals on some of their titles. I spend a good hour browsing their site and picked up 10 books that sounded amazing and ones I can't wait to read. 

I will say though, their shipping charges were off the charts but given that the books were heavily marked down it sorta made sense. But still, it did give me cause to pause. But I eventually decided to get me these amazing books and support and independent publishing company. 

I am so excited about these books and let's see them now, shall we? 


My sister read this book last week and loved it. 
Set in Amboli in the 1940s it is a collection of interconnected short stories set amongst the East Indian community. My sister loved these stories and these people and I can't wait to read it myself. 


Set in 1984 and centred around the riots following the assassination of Indira Gandhi, this book promises to be moving read about a tumultuous time in our history. I am quite excited to read it soon. 


I read Belonging  by Umi Sinha a couple of days ago and OMG I loved it. 
We follow three generations of the same family British/ Anglo-Indian family, set during the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857 and the World War, it does a fantastic job telling the stories of three lives marked by tragedy. 
Full review coming soon. 
I have so much more to say. 


Mughal History is one of my favourite periods to read about and do a deeper dive into. So I am stoked to find out more about Gulbadan, the sister of Humayun and aunt of Akbar. 


A thriller about a family with some supernatural gifts. Sounds like fun. 


A dystopian set in the near future. 


More short stories. 


A memoir. India's first Dalit autobiographical account, I cannot wait to read and learn more. 
I have heard nothing but incredible things about this book and have been meaning to read it for a long, long time. 


My first brush with Naga literature and this one was so so so good. 
Part folktale and lore and myth and partly just a story about village life and a mother and daughter duo working hard to survive. So good. I cannot wait to read more from Easterine Kire. 


A story of dreams and simple wants and living in poverty. It sounds both sweet and moving and I am sure I am going to love it. 


BOOKS BOUGHT/// 

1. Don't Run, My Love by Easterine Kire 

2. Baluta by Daya Pawar 

3. Woman to Woman by Madhulika Liddle 

4. Like a Pinprick to the Heart by Shujoy Dutta 

5. When the Moon Shines by Day by Nayantara Sahgal 

6. Bicycle Dreaming by Mridula Koshy 

7. A Village Dies by Ivan Arthur 

8. Stillborn Season by Radhika Oberoi 

9. Belonging by Umi Sinha 

10. Gulbadan by Rumer Codden 

No comments: