Thursday 10 September 2020

Book Haul: A Very Harry Haul.

 


Hello!

Long time no book haul.

I don't think I bought any books since...March? Or was it February? I have been buying occasional ebooks but I just didn't think it was a good idea to get any physical books. One, I didn't really NEED new books. I felt like the one good thing of this whole lockdown mess would mean reading books that had been sitting on my shelves for ages. Also, in the earliest days of the lockdown, books weren't being shipped, since they weren't considered essential items. Well, ok. Secondly, even once they were being shipped, the idea of having to sanitize yet another thing seemed like too much work. 

So no books were bought. 

But by July was I beginning to crack. I missed book mail and I missed the sight of new books in my life. 

July is also Harry Potter's birthday and it is usually when I tend to re-read one or more of the Potter books. 

Now, before I go on any further, I feel like I need to talk about JK Rowling and her very controversial and hurtful takes on Trans Women and Trans Rights. I adore Harry Potter and I will always be very grateful to JKR for these books that mean the world to me, the comfort and joy they bring me is unlike anything else in the world. But her statements are hurtful, misinformed and cruel and I don't agree with them. BUT...I am not about to turn my back on books that make me happy no matter what. 

When I am anxious these books are one of the few things are always help. 

When I am sad they lift me out of my funk. 

These books, it's people and this world mean so much to me. 

I don't support her or her words, but I can love these books and not agree with their author. I am an adult who can do both. 

OK? 


Moving on. 

Now, I own a gorgeous set of first edition books that I have read and re-read a million times over. This year when I reached out to re-read the first book, I was heart broken to see that it was literally falling apart. Like a page flew out. It broke my heart and I gingerly put it back, not willing to risk to reading it and causing further damage. My editions are from Scholastic and are the American editions with cute little illustrations at the beginning of each chapter. I LOVE these particular copies so much. So I couldn't risk them getting damaged any further. :( 

I do own the gorgeous illustrated editions too, in hardback. Those while stunning are not most reader friendly. Also, my copies are stashed pretty deep in my bookshelf. :( So I needed new copies. But I felt kinda bad about getting new copies of books I already owned. 

Ugh! 

Then I remembered these house editions (is that what they're called?) and I decided to get these. I didn't need the whole set, mainly the first 4 books that I own have gotten frail with age. The rest of the books, all hardback editions are doing well. 

So I got the first 4 books in Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Gryffindor editions. 

I am Ravenclaw.

Sister is Gryffindor.

But I spiritually feel like a Hufflepuff. 

No Slytherin edition was bought because...why? 



Book 1. 
Yellow thing of beauty. 
I honestly could have just bought all the four books in the Hufflepuff colours. 
So cute! 





Book 2. 
Still stunning. 
The black and the yellow go so well together. 


Book 3. 
Finally, my house. 
What a gorgeous shade of blue. 
This is the next book I need to re-read. 
:) 


Wit.
Learning. 
Wisdom. 

All things I love best in this world. 


Book 4. 
Finally one in Gryffindor colours. 


Each book has a map of Hogwarts and some information about the particular house and it's founder. 


Go Go Gryffindor. 
:) 

I am so happy to have these very readable paperback editions in my life. I can read them in peace and not worry about them falling apart and my precious, precious first editions can stay safe and go into retirement. 
:) 


No comments: