Saturday 12 September 2020

Weekend Reads: Yaa Gyasi and Anthony Horowitz. + Saturday Morning.

 Hello! 

How is the weekend treating you? 

Do you even realise when weekends begin anymore? I can only tell days apart because of my planner. Otherwise, it's all sort of blending into one. 

But this weekend we are doing things right. 

I've been up since dawn...well before dawn, I woke up properly at 5:00 AM and then after ambling around in bed till 6:00 AM I got up and got my day started. 

Made coffee. 

Took a shower. 

Washed my hair. 

Then I opened all the windows and let the breeze come in and bring in birdsong and light. 

I then spent around half an hour just writing in my journal and doing morning pages, it felt so good to just put pen to paper and let my thoughts out. 


This my journal at the moment. It's a field notes sized notebook from The Ink Bucket. Look at it's floral loveliness. 

So damn pretty! 

After journaling and a little bit of a planner catch-up, it was time to eat something. 

So I fixed myself some stir fried veggies and toast. 

:) 

Then I spent some time tidying up the house and washing clothes and airing out some cushions and pillows because the sun was just too darn bright to not be used to air out a bunch of stuff. 

Then I finally, sat down to read my current gorgeous read. 



Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi. 

I read Homegoing when it came out and it was such a stunning read. I was blown away by the writing the stories and I knew then, I would read anything and everything Maa Gyasi ever wrote and finally that day is here. I am so excited to be reading  this book and I am about 30% in and I am quite pleased with the book so far in. 


Plot Summary: As a child Gifty would ask her parents to tell the story of their journey from Ghana to Alabama, seeking escape in myths of heroism and romance. When her father and brother succumb to the hard reality of immigrant life in the American South, their family of four becomes two - and the life Gifty dreamed of slips away.

Years later, desperate to understand the opioid addiction that destroyed her brother's life, she turns to science for answers. But when her mother comes to stay, Gifty soon learns that the roots of their tangled traumas reach farther than she ever thought. Tracing her family's story through continents and generations will take her deep into the dark heart of modern America.

Transcendent Kingdom is a searing story story of love, loss and redemption, and the myriad ways we try to rebuild our lives from the rubble of our collective pasts.

Book about family's, loss and grief are always heavy but oddly one of my favourite things to read and when penned by a incredibly talented writer, it gets even better. This book also deals with matter of race and addiction. Things that are so important to talk about and learn about. I am so happy to spend my weekend wrapped up in this story. 

It was easily one of my most anticipated reads of 2020. 

Now on to what my sister is reading this weekend. 


Moonflower Murders by Anthony Horowitz. 

My sister is big fan of Anthony Horowitz and has read most of his thrillers, so this book was very high of on her list of anticipated reads for 2020. We got it last night and she had a hard time putting it down and going to bed. She hopes to do nothing else but read this over the weekend. 


Plot Summary: Retired publisher Susan Ryeland is running a small hotel on a Greek island with her long-term boyfriend. But life isn't as idyllic as it should be: exhausted by the responsibility of making everything work on an island where nothing ever does, Susan is beginning to miss her literary life in London - even though her publishing career once entangled her in a lethal literary murder plot.

So when an English couple come to visit with tales of a murder that took place in a hotel the same day their daughter Cecily was married there, Susan can't help but find herself fascinated.

And when they tell her that Cecily has gone missing a few short hours after reading Atticus Pund Takes The Case, a crime novel Susan edited some years previously, Susan knows she must return to London to find out what has happened.

The clues to the murder and to Cecily's disappearance must lie within the pages of this novel.

But to save Cecily, Susan must place her own life in mortal danger...


So that is what our weekend looks like. 

I hope you are having a good weekend too. 

Stay In. 

Stay Safe. 

Get your reading on. 

:) 

No comments: