Saturday 16 July 2022

Weekend Reads: Three Books I am Reading this Weekend. (Christie, Blyton & More.)

 Hello Loves! 

It's been forever since I did one of this posts and documented my weekend reading on the blog. 

Let's fix that shall we? 

I've been in such a mood to re-read lately, maybe it has something to do with being reunited with my books after nearly two years. I am looking at my shelves and picking old loves to spend time with. I am loving it. 

:) 


This is the lot I am hoping to read these next few days. 

Five Go To Smuggler's Top by Enid Blyton: It's been two years since I read any Famous Five. So I am more than ready to jump back into this world. I remember pretty much nothing about this book, not surprising since I read this when I was ten. So this will feel brand new. I am all set to get cozy and read this adventure filled caper and hang out with some old faves. 


Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie: This is also a re-read. My Dad is finally watching all the Agatha Christie shows (its available on Sony Liv) and I had to pick up a book to keep the vibe going. I adore this story and the TV adaptation is good too, really nicely done as usual. Plus it's got a dog, what's not to love? 

Horse by Geraldine Brooks: This one is a strange pick and not something I'd usually pick up. I mean I don't really even like horses. I started on this and before I knew it, I was some 20% through. It's so well written, not surprising, since the author is a Pulitzer winner. I am so glad I found my way to this book and I hope to pick up more by the author. 

Plot Summary: A discarded painting in a junk pile, a skeleton in an attic, and the greatest racehorse in American history: from these strands, a Pulitzer Prize winner tells a sweeping story of spirit, obsession, and injustice across American history


Kentucky, 1850. An enslaved groom named Jarret and a bay foal forge a bond of understanding that will carry the horse to record-setting victories across the South. When the nation erupts in civil war, an itinerant young artist who has made his name on paintings of the racehorse takes up arms for the Union. On a perilous night, he reunites with the stallion and his groom, very far from the glamour of any racetrack.

New York City, 1954. Martha Jackson, a gallery owner celebrated for taking risks on edgy contemporary painters, becomes obsessed with a 19th equestrian oil painting of mysterious provenance.

Washington, DC, 2019. Jess, a Smithsonian scientist from Australia, and Theo, a Nigerian-American art historian, find themselves unexpectedly connected through their shared interest in the horse-one studying the stallion's bones for clues to his power and endurance, the other uncovering the lost history of the unsung Black horsemen who were critical to his racing success.

Based on the remarkable true story of the record-breaking thoroughbred, Lexington, who became America's greatest stud sire, 
Horse is an original ,gripping, multi-layered reckoning with the legacy of enslavement and racism in America.



Here's what my weekend will look like. 
Oh, here's my adorable Sloth Tote from Stem Daisy Embroidery. 
I am using it as my Reading Tote. 
Ah! 
So freaking cute! 
:) 
Hope you guys are having a good weekend. 
Happy Reading my Loves. 

No comments: