Sunday 31 July 2022

Monthly Reading Wrap-Up: July 2022.

 


Hello Loves! 

July was a strange month, reading wise it was a month marked by impatience. In the sense, I read a decent amount of books but there was also several bouts of reading something and then stopping and picking something else up and feeling disconnected with a lot of what I read. 

A strange month. 

I read a lot of thrillers. Something about the monsoons makes me want to read as many twisty and dark stories as possible. 

I read some literary fiction. 

A fair amount of re-reads. I am so happy to be re-united with my books and so happy to re-visit some much loved books. This trend of re-reading is going to be something I stick to the rest of the year too. I want to re-connect with my shelves and find some old loves to read. 

So..overall not the best and oddly impatient (dude I DNF-ed close to 10 books) but some gems were read. 

Oh, and I also bought some seven books! After months of stopping cold turkey. 

:) 

Let's jump into it. 


JULY READING WRAP-UP: 



1. Mother of Manipur by Teresa Rahman: Started my month with some non-fiction and something very, very important and a book I meant to read for a while. This isn't an easy read, but it's one I think more people need to read. The writer speaks to the mothers who protested and caught national attention and made it papers all over the world. I remember this incident and reading this book taught me so much and I am so glad I finally read this book. 

I hear it's unavailable on Amazon, so please check Zubaan Book's website to order it directly from them. 

4/5 


2. Dollar Bahu by Sudha Murty: Re-read this slim little novel after six or seven years and I loved it just as much. Murty talks about Indian families with such nuance and so much of her tale is rooted in reality, you'll find yourself slipping into this world and knowing almost every character here. This book does a great job at showing how middle class families are often swayed and changed when money, especially the dollar makes an appearance. So good. 

4.5/5 


3. The Complete Maus by Art Spielgelman: Another re-read and another all time favourite. If you haven't read this incredible book, please do. It is pretty much one of my favourite graphic memoir/novels of all time.

5/5 


4. Our Sister, Again by Sophie Cameron: A story set in the near future when loved ones can be brought back from the dead thanks to an AI robot, one that looks and acts and talks like your loved one. An interesting premise and a thought provoking read I enjoyed very much. I stopped and thought and wondered what I would do if (God forbid) I found myself in this situation. What is right or wrong? I am surprised by how much I loved this book. 

4/5 


5. A Place Called Home by Preeti Shenoy: Home and making of homes and finding your place in the world. Alka is the daughter of a domestic worker, she grew up in a small, dingy room in the home of the woman her mother worked for. She is educated and as a grown woman, she hides this secret about her identity, because she doesn't want to be treated differently just because she comes from a particular social strata. 

I liked this book, for most part the premise is interesting. But overall..I don't think I quite liked Alka and that was the worst part of this reading experience for me. 

3/5 

6. Five Go to Smuggler's Top by Enid Blyton: What is summer without some Blyton? These books just take me back to simpler times. 

Fun. 

4/5 

7. Just Like Home by Sarah Gailey: This one is a horror novel. A girl comes back to her childhood home, a home where her serial killer father did horrible things to his victims. She is back after years to look after her terminally ill mother. 

Things begin to happen. Are they real? Is she having a breakdown? 

This one was so blah. I didn't enjoy this as much as I hoped I would. 

Not scary enough. 

1/5 

8. The Family Remains by Lisa Jewell: I head the first book in this duology when it came out and I loved it. The Family Upstairs is an incredible book and a look into what happens to a family when they invite a charismatic charlatan in. I loved the book, though TBH I barely remembered the details when I picked this sequel up. But most of it came back. 

This was a fun read. It was nice to be back in this world and visit with these characters. 

A decent read. Not as brilliant as it's predecessor but not bad. I am happy to have read it. If you loved The Family Upstairs you have to read this. If you haven't, well you can't read this. 

3.5/5

9. The It Girl by Ruth Ware: Between my sister and me, we've read most of Ruth Ware's books. They are usually a good time. 

This one we've reviewed here. 

4/5

10. Two Nights in Lisbon by Chris Pavone: This one is different sort of thriller, not the kind I'd usually pick up. I am all for the murdery sort of thriller. This one is a little bit different. Some legal, political intrigue type thing. Different and if you like this sort of book...you might like this. 

3/5 

11. Night Crawling by Leila Mottley: This one made it to the Booker Prize Long-List! Wow! The author was only 19 when she published this. This got on my radar thanks to Oprah's Book Club and I picked this up. 

I liked it very much. 

Full review will come soon. I am still mulling over things. 

4/5 

12. Horse by Geraldine Brooks: Another lit fic read this month. This one is part historical fiction and partly set in the present day-ish 2019 to be precise. It's a story about people and horse, a tale connected by a racing horse from 1850s. A story about race and it's ramifications then and now. 

So good. So glad I picked it up, even though I don't even like horses! 

4/5 

13. Five Go Off in a Caravan by Enid Blyton: More fun and nostalgic reading. 

4/5 

14. After We Were Stolen by Brooke Beyfuss: This book had everything I love in a thriller/mystery. A cult. Life in a odd sort of family. Abduction. Siblings. Finding your place in the world again. 

Loved this book and breezed through it. 

4/5 

15. Things We Do in the Dark by Jennifer Hillier: A woman with a secret in her past. A husband, who is older, richer and more successful and now dead. 

This one was a fun read. There is a lot going on and  so many secrets to unveil. I did guess quite of few of the plot twists..but I usually do...so there's that.

3/5

16. The Omen by David Seltzer: A childhood favourite..OK I know how odd that sounds. But this film was my introduction to horror and it's a love that has endured. So chuffed to finally have read the book. Loved it. 

4/5

17. Any Other Family by Eleanor Brown: I really enjoyed this book, I do tend to enjoy books about family dynamics and messy family stories are some of my favourite things ever. This one has a unique family at the heart of it, a family connected because they've adopted biological siblings. A unique mix of people who are brought together and don't always see eye to eye...well like any other family really. 

3.5/5 

18. Small Things Like These by Claire Keegan: My second read from the Booker Long List and one I ABSOLUTELY loved. Pick this up and read it in one sitting, it's the shortest book on the list and it's so good. 

I will be doing a full review very soon. 

4.5/5 

19. The Girl who Survived by Lisa Jackson: A young girl survives her family massacre, one that was apparently done by her half-brother, who has been in prison serving time ever since. 20 years later, he's out and now she's wondering what really happened that night all those years ago? 

A very fast paced book that will keep you hooked from start to finish. 

4/5

20. The Last one to Vanish by Megan Miranda: A small town on the Appalachian trail where seven people have vanished into thin air over the last 25 years. Abby works in a lodge in town and is wondering is there someone in this small-town who could be connected to these tragedies? 

A book I breezed through in one sitting. This was so atmospheric and had so much going on. Some things easy-ish to guess, others not so much. 

3.5/5 

~~~

Phew!

Done!

20 books and most of them rather good. 

I hope you found something you'd like to pick up at some point.   

Hope July was good for you Behens. 

No comments: