Saturday 2 September 2023

Hello September 2023 + Current Reads + 10 Things to Watch This Weekend.

Hello September! 

Hello Festivity! 

Hello Fall (not here) vibes! 

Hello Spooky Books! 

Hello my Favourite Quarter of the Year!  



I hope this month is kind and gentle and wonderful for all of us. 

I am so excited for Janmashthami and Ganesh Chaturthi. 

:) 

And figuring out my plans for Durga Puja. 

And I am happy to read from all over the world, now that my India only month is over. 




I am working on my TBR and I think this is going to be a month of reading some Lit Fic and a ton of thrillers because it's been raining thrillers all over. 

I have already started my month with two books. 


One thriller, The Last Girls Standing by Jennifer Dugan- this is about two girls who survive a massacre at a Camp and after this near brush with death, things are not as they seemed to be.
What happened that night?
Were the killings that straight forward? 
This book will remind you of several cult classic horror films, slashers mostly and there is a long arc of mystery. But..overall it was not was I was hoping for. The main mystery was kinda weird (not really a mystery as such) and easy to guess. 


All The Little Bird-Hearts by Viktoria Lloyd-Barlow: I also started reading this book yesterday,my first read from the Booker Long List. This is set in 1988 and it's about a mother and daughter duo and how a new couple enters their lives and things are no longer the same. I am 25 pages in and quite enjoying it. The mother, who is the main protagonist clearly struggles with mental health issues and if I had to guess some form of OCD and reading about how mind works and how hard she works to assimilate in the world is really different and interesting. 


💚💚💚💚💚💚

Now for some TV and Film recommendations and 10 Things You  Can Binge this Weekend. 


1. I See You is a thriller movie that has a nice little twist and I don't want to give any more of the plot away and so, if you enjoy serial killer stories and domestic-ish thrillers then do give this a go. It's streaming on Prime Video.

2. You Are So Not Invited To My Bat Mitzvah is a teeny-bopper drama-comedy about two childhood best friends navigating their coming-of-age turbulence and learning some important life lessons along the way. Streaming on Netflix. 

3. The Killer Book Club is, as the name tells you, a slasher movie. Dubbed from Spanish, this one is a decent slasher flick, though, it is pretty easy to guess who the killer is. Streaming on Netflix.

4. The Chelsea Detective is a charming, fun detective series that is perfect for those sweet September days! We, recently, added a BBC iPlayer subscription to our Prime Video and have been loving this series. Great characters, decent mysteries and beautiful Chelsea neighbourhoods. Streaming on Prime/ BBC iPlayer. 

5. Shakespeare & Hathaway is a fun detective series with all kinds of big and small crimes. I enjoy watching it for the laughs as much as I do for the cases. Streaming on BBC iPlayer. 

6. Por Thozhil is a Tamil serial killer movie and it is a pretty good one at that. Streaming on SonyLiv.

7. One Thousand and One Lies is a lovely Malayalam movie about big and small lies and the havoc that they can wreck on relationships. Streaming on SonyLiv.

8. Aakhri Sach is a fictionalised re-telling of the tragic and mysterious Burari deaths case. It is a bit meandering as of now but if you were interested in that case then this is a good show to watch. Streaming on Disney+ Hotstar.

9. Siyaah is a Pakistani thriller-horror series that has new episodes every weekend. It is available on YouTube and the stories are very nice and interesting. 

10. Kumudini Bhawan is a murder mystery involving a boarding house and its various inhabitants in Kolkata. A decent watch. Streaming on Hoichoi. 


No comments: