Tuesday 19 September 2023

Vignettes: Slow September Days! (Bookmarks +Books + Ganesh Chaturthi)

 Why does September feel like the year is nearly over already? 

Like life ought to slow down and amble towards end of year festivity? 

September always reminds me of dhol and music and lights all over my city. 

The time for Ganesh Chaturthi and festive season officially arriving here in India. 

Ganpu is here today. And all morning I've heard music, dhol and merriment and chants. 

The light looks festive too. Brighter and warmer somehow. 

:) 

I hope you are having a lovely day. 

And I hope these ten days are happy and wonderful for everyone celebrating. 

I am so happy to see Mumbai come out and celebrate. 


Our little celebration at home this morning. 

🪔🪔🪔🪔🪔🪔🪔🪔




I am so desperately manifesting some remotely autumn like weather. Sadly, it's been so dry and hot and just not remotely cozy here and it's driving me insane. 
Alas, I look at everyone else, in the West, enjoying the beginnings of cozy days and slipping into fall. 



I have so many thrillers sitting on my Kindle that I am dyinggg to read, I am waiting for a suitably rainy day to read something truly spooky. Sadly, my luck lately with scary/mystery/thriller books has been so terrible. 
All this month, I've read some five thrillers and each one has been a sore disappointment. 
:( 
So I've stepped away to focus on other sorts of reading instead. 
Like the Booker Books.

I've read one book from the Booker Long List, All The Little Bird Hearts by Viktoria Lloyd-Barlow, which I loved very much. 




I have two more books on my Kindle. 

A Spell of Good Things by Ayobami Adebayo 
Old God's Time by Sebastian Barry 

And I've tried and stopped and picked it up again and stopped again, with both the books.
I am especially sad that Adebayo's new book is jut not working for me. I absolutely loved Stay With Me. So I had such high hopes from this book but for the life of me, cannot move past the 5% mark. And honestly, I don't want to force myself to read something that's not pulling me in. 

I want to get the Paul Murray- The Bee Sting and Pearl by Sian Hughes. In fact, I might just get them today. 
I feel like treating myself to some books today. Plus, my Dad randomly sent me some money this morning, out of the blue, he sent me money. 
I am not complaining and I might just use it to buy some good books. 
Thanks Baba. 
:) 


September has been slow and wonderful otherwise. I've read some 12 books (two graphic novels) and mostly reading has been good. And I've been watching some amazing things. I will do a little TV and Film recommendation soon. 
Recently, I binged all six episodes of Wilderness (on Prime) which is based on a book and I have some thoughts, it definitely made stop and think and mull over things about actions and adultery. 
More on this later. 


OK how cute is this bookmark? 
And this should be my mantra and something I am genuinely trying to do. 
More books. 
Less time on my phone. 
This bookmark is from Riya Designs. 


September has also been about sweet treats and eating yums. 
This Pain au Chocolat from Theobroma is a new favourite. 
I love it. 


Also warm apple pie and vanilla ice-cream is a match made in heaven. 
Love it. 
For years this was my go to order, many a meal at Basillico and Indigo Deli would end with an apple pie and I am happy to find myself back in love with it. 



I hope September is treating you well. 

I am hoping to read a little and get some rest and sort out some random plumbing issues we've been having in our flat for the last four days! 
Ugh! 

But now I am off to eat a modak or two and calm down and have a chill day. 
:) 

No comments: