Sunday 22 June 2014

Review: Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout.

Book: Don't Look Back

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Pages: 375

How Long it Took Me To Read: 3 hours ( I read it in one sitting.)

Read On: My Kindle

Plot Summary: Samantha is a stranger in her own life. Until the night she disappeared with her best friend, Cassie, everyone said Sam had it all-popularity, wealth, and a dream boyfriend. 

Sam has resurfaced, but she has no recollection of who she was or what happened to her that night. As she tries to piece together her life from before, she realizes it's one she no longer wants any part of. The old Sam took "mean girl" to a whole new level, and it's clear she and Cassie were more like best enemies. Sam is pretty sure that losing her memories is like winning the lottery. She's getting a second chance at being a better daughter, sister, and friend, and she's falling hard for Carson Ortiz, a boy who has always looked out for her-even if the old Sam treated him like trash.

But Cassie is still missing, and the facts about what happened to her that night isn't just buried deep inside of Sam's memory-someone else knows, someone who wants to make sure Sam stays quiet. All Sam wants is the truth, and if she can unlock her clouded memories of that fateful night, she can finally move on. But what if not remembering is the only thing keeping Sam alive?

General Thoughts: I was really in the mood for a light, fun read. And mystery books are my idea of book candy. I love getting lost in a mystery and coming up with my own theories and possible suspects and all that good stuff. I've read two books by this author before, but they were new adult books. This is the first young adult book by Armentrout I've read and I enjoyed it more than I did her new adult books. This was a fun book. I was hooked and could not put it down, even when it was waaaayyyy past my bedtime. I read till 7 am but finished it in one sitting. I had guessed the mystery but it was still a fun read. 

Things I Liked: 

1. The writing was good and I enjoyed the first person account and seeing things unfold from Sam's point of view. The pace of this book was great too. 

2. I liked that this book had a lot of family in it, once Sam comes back home, she goes about mending her equation with her twin brother and trying to understand her parent's marriage. 

3. Sam's love connection with Carson was nice and wasn't instalove, they had history and chemistry and it was fun to read about them and their past. 

4. I liked that the young adults in this book were shown as being sexually active. Teens have sex but YA books often gloss over that fact. 

5. I also enjoyed most of the side characters like Sam's brother Scott, his girlfriend Julia, Carson of course and even the super-mean girls- Candy, Veronica and Lauren. 

6. I liked that the issues between Sam and her long-time boyfriend Del were real, in the sense big things that were specified. He was an ass. And I am glad we were given specific examples of his horridness. 

Things I Didn't Like: 

1. I would have liked a little more of Cassie. In the book, once Sam comes back sans her memories, multiple people tell her that Cassie was a total bitch. Sam, as we come to know her seems like someone who has a good heart. Cassie was the bad influence. Cassie and Sam together bring out the worst in each other and I wish we had seen more of this. 

2. The super-mean girls were reallly, really mean. Why would anyone be friends with them? Sam who is deep down a nice girl..we are told...why would she put up with these bitches? 


Rating: 4/5- purely because I was caught up in the story and found it very entertaining. 


No comments: