Wednesday 26 February 2020

Book Haul: Birthday Book Haul 2020.

Hello! 
I am here today to share some glorious books I bought for my birthday. Honestly, my birthday is the only time when I buy books without a shadow of a doubt or an inkling of guilt. Otherwise, I constantly feel a little guilty about adding to my shelves. Especially when it comes to buying slightly expensive books. 
But during February all my guilt goes flying out of the window. 
Be gone guilt. 
It's time to treat myself. 
I got 11 books and I've already read two out of this lot. 

So here's the newest loves added to my shelves. 
I got all of these books from Amazon, I normally go bookshop hopping on my birthday but this year health troubles and car troubles kept me home. 
So Jai Ho Amazon. 


Starting with a book I finished just last night. 
Suralakshmi Villa was wonderful. 
It is a fleshed out novel version of an existing short story that I read a couple of years ago. I didn't know this going in. But a few pages in and I was like...this seems familiar. 
Not that it ruined the book for me or anything but...it felt like re-visiting an old friend. 
A wonderful book and one that I enjoyed a lot. 
A full review is coming soon. 


This is what the book is about. 


I finally picked up Good Talk that had been sitting in my Wishlist on Amazon for ages..months. Decided my birthday month was a good time to indulge and get it. 
Will probably read it next month for #FemmeMarch. 


An example of the pages and art style. 


I read Elizabeth Acevedo's newest book- With The Fire on High last year and loved it and I've heard nothing but amazing things about this book- The Poet X. 
It's too in verse for most part. 
I am curious to read it. 



I love folk tales and folk songs and this collection of folk tales from Bihar sounds so good. 
I can't wait to read it over the summer. 
Also, how beautiful is  this cover? 



Another book that had been sitting on my wishlist for ages. 
I have enjoyed everything Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar has ever written and I am sure I'll enjoy this children's book too. 






Short stories about mothers and daughters. 
What's not to love?! 
I got this after a recommendation from someone on a Book Group on FB that I am a part of. 
I am excited to read this. 
Perhaps next month itself. 


Got some Ruskin Bond too. 
Because why not? 




A new release I've had my eye on since before it came out. 
It sounds just like something I'll enjoy. 
:) 




Books about Bombay, yes please! 
God this cover art is too stunning for words. 


I honestly cannot wait to dive into this one. 



I got this book finally. 
I had ordered the second book in this series not knowing it was the second book! 
:( 
So finally, after some 3 years of waiting for the price to drop, I got the first in the series. 
A children's book with feral, spirited kids. 
Yes please! 



Books Bought/// 

1. A Love of Long Ago by Ruskin Bond. 

2. The Greatest Folktales of Bihar by Nalin Verma 

3. The Alchemy of Secret by Priya Balasubramanium 

4. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place by Maryrose Wood 

5. The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo 

6. Janani Mothers, Daughters and Motherhood 

7. Jwala Kumar and The Gift of Fire by Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar 

8. Suralakshmi Villa by Aruna Chakravarti 

9. Bombay Balchao by Jane Borges 

10. The Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line by Deepa Anappara 

11. Good Talk by Mira Jacob. 


An Instax picture to commemorate this happy occasion. 
:) 

So much happiness in a stack of new books! 
Happy Reading folks. 
:) 

No comments: