Saturday 9 April 2022

Weekend Reads: What I am Reading This Weekend.

 Hello Loves! 

The weekend is here and it's a grey and gloomy one in my corner of the world. 

I don't mind it one bit. Not at all! 

I hope to curl up with a good book or two. 

And watch something spooky and fun (if I can find something suitably spooky and scary). 

But reading is mostly all sorted. 

:)


The Firebird by Saikat Majumdar: For ten-year-old Ori, his mother’s life as a theatre actor holds as much fascination as it does fear. Approaching adolescence in an unstable home, he is haunted by her nightly stage appearances and the suspicion and resentment her profession evokes in people around her, at home and among their neighbours. Increasingly consumed by an obsessive hatred of the stage, Ori is irrevocably drawn into a pattern of behaviour that can only have catastrophic consequences. Political bullies, actors, hairdressers, set boys and backstage crew make up the world of The Firebird, a visceral exploration of a young boy stumbling into adulthood far ahead of his years.

I am 100 pages in this book and have been reading it very slowly over the last few days. I just need to sit down and commit and read a chunk of it. I am quite enjoying this. I especially like being back in Calcutta in 1985 and my favourite aspect, so far in, has been the artful way in which the author has managed to capture the sheer helplessness and vulnerability of being a child.  My heart breaks for Ori and I can't wait to see how life treats him. 

The writing is quite nice too. 

I have a feeling I am going to love this book. 

Will do a review once I finish it. 


I am also sorta reading a book on my Kindle. 


We Are Okay by Nina LaCour: You go through life thinking there's so much you need.... Until you leave with only your phone, your wallet, and a picture of your mother. Marin hasn't spoken to anyone from her old life since the day she left everything behind. No one knows the truth about those final weeks. Not even her best friend Mabel. But even thousands of miles away from the California Coast, at college in New York, Marin still feels the pull of the life and tragedy she's tried to outrun. Now, months later, alone in an emptied dorm for winter break, Marin waits. Mabel is coming to visit and Marin will be forced to face everything that's been left unsaid and finally confront the loneliness that has made a home in her heart. An intimate whisper that Packs an indelible punch, We Are Okay, is Nina Lacour at her finest. This gorgeously crafted and achingly honest portrayal of grief will leave you urgent to reach across any distance to reconnect with the people you love.


I have read two other books by LaCour, Watch Over Me and Everything Leads to You. Both of which I really enjoyed and I highly recommend. This one was on my radar for agesssssss. And I am so glad I finally got it and am reading it now. I am very, very little into it. About 5% or so and already it's intense and moving and has this sadness and loneliness that I am oddly enjoying. I think we are going to get along, this book, it's protagonist and me.I love how Lacour writes Teens, the angst, the pain, the growing pains and love. Especially queer love. I am looking forward to all of it. 

:)

Wow I just realized I am reading about two young people this weekend. 

A 10 year old and a 17 year old. 

Nice. 

Have a lovely weekend loves and happy Reading! 


No comments: