Thursday 23 February 2023

Book Review: The Magic of the Lost Story by Sudha Murty.

 




Book: The Magic of the Lost Story. 

Author: Sudha Murty 

Illustrator: David Yambem

Publisher: Penguin India 

Pages: 208 

How Long it Took Me To Read: 2 days (with several breaks)

Plot Summary: After staying in the lockdown for over a year, Nooni is now visiting her Ajja-Ajji in Somanahalli. Memories of excavating the famous stepwell and experiencing village life for the first time in The Magic of the Lost Temple are still afresh in Nooni's mind. Excited to finally step out of the confines of her home, little does Nooni know she will make yet another discovery, only this time it's a missing puzzle in her family's history.


Written in India's favourite storyteller's inimitable style, 
The Magic of the Lost Story captures the value of asking questions and keeping the answers alive. Packed with delightful artworks and wondrous terrains, this story takes you on an unforgettable journey as it follows the magnificent Tungabhadra River.

Review: I read the first book in this series, The Magic of the Lost Temple a few years ago and really loved it. I also did a review for it, you can read it HERE. 

When I saw that there was a new book in this charming series, I knew I had to get my hands on it. 

Things I Liked: 

1. It was so nice to be back with characters I grew to love in the first book. Nooni, Ajja and Ajji and being back in their little village felt so good. Spending time in their village and learning about simple living and new rituals and customs was very wholesome. 

2. The writing as always is wonderful and evocative and full of Sudha Murty's usual charm and wit and quiet life lessons. A delight to immerse yourself in her words and her simple story telling. 

3. I love how this book talks about the lockdown and the impact it had on kids and how it effected them. Nooni, like so many children in India and the world were adversely effected by the pandemic and lockdown. Being stuck at home, missing school, online classes and missing being normal and just being kids is something every one dealt with and I am glad we now have books talking about this. 

4. Nooni is a lovely character and she is still wonderful, courteous and curious and it was so nice spending time with her and going on another adventure with her. 

5. I love that this book teaches you so much about the Tungabhadra river and the villages and towns along it's banks. It taught me so much and this aspect will work great for kids and adults. Especially since we don't learn a whole about rivers in schools. 

6. The lost story is wonderful and might just be my absolute favourite part of the book. It's a story full of courage, loyalty and goodness that everyone will enjoy. So this book has a story within a story and that always feels like a happy bonus. 

7. Actually my favourite part of this book is the older generation. I love books about grandparents. I will always, always want to read something or watch something that features a grandparent, it is my kryptonite. This book not only has the lovely Ajja and Ajji from the previous book but also a new Ajja figure who we meet and he is sweet too. 

8. The book is made so much better with the lovely illustrations. 

Here are some of my absolute favourites. 






Rating: 4/5 

I loved this book, while it is aimed at children, I think it works for kids and adults alike. 

Do pick it up and lose yourself in a far simpler, kinder and gentler world. 




No comments: