Thursday 3 December 2015

Review: The Magic of the Lost Temple by Sudha Murthy.




Book: The Magic of the Lost Temple

Author: Sudha Murthy

Pages: 163

Read On: Paperback

How Long it took Me To Read: 1 day

Plot Summary: City girl Nooni is surprised at the pace of life in her grandparents' village in Karnataka. But she quickly gets used to the gentle routine there and involves herself in a flurry of activities, including papad making, organizing picnics and learning to ride a cycle, with her new-found friends. Things get exciting when Nooni stumbles upon an ancient fabled stepwell right in the middle of a forest.Join the intrepid Nooni on an adventure of a lifetime in this much-awaited book by Sudha Murty that is heart-warming, charming and absolutely unputdownable.

General Thoughts: Ah! A happy little Children's Book! I wanted it the minute I spotted it in the bookshop. And I started reading it pretty much immediately. :)  I read it after reading a beyond dull and boring and soulless book. This book just cured my bookish blues. I loved it! And I breezed through it!

Things I Liked: 

1. The writing as always was a pleasure to read. Simple and straight-forward and soothing. Sudha Murthy's books are comfort reads for me. And this book was comforting and joyful and such a happy read.

2. This book covers some of my favourite things in the world to read about and experience via a book---summer holidays, village life, grandparents and the return to simplicity. :)

3. Nooni is such a lovely little girl to get to know. She is spunky and curious and adventurous. But she isn't annoying and over the top. She is also an average girl. Not too bright and overachieving. She is a regular girl.

4. The book talks of such important things of giving back to your community. Of remembering where you come from and staying connected to your roots. But it talks of all these critical things in such a relaxed and non-preachy manner.

5. This book also talks about nature and having a green thumb and living off the land. While I was reading this, I missed my Thamma (paternal grandmother) so much! It also made me want to have a little garden of my own!

6. There were darling little illustrations in this book. Always a plus in my opinion.

7. The story of the step-well and it's origins is told in three ways. First is full of mythology and magic and is lovely. The second version is more realistic, yet steeped in history. And the third is a more modern and no-fuss story. Also the story behind the step-well eventually becoming lost and in hiding is also told and explained in three ways, very interestingly done.

8. The ajji (grandmother) of this story is such a wonderful and inspiring character. Clever, resourceful, kind and loving and nurturing. She leads through her actions and deeds and not through her words. It was such a joy getting to know her.

Rating: 4.5/5 I loved this book and I highly, highly recommend it. For children and adults alike. 

No comments: