Tuesday 6 October 2020

Book Review: Kintsugi by Anukrti Upadhyay.

 


Book: Kintsugi 

Author: Anukrti Upadhyay 

Publisher: Harper Collins India 

Pages: 224

Read On: Hardback Edition 

How Long it Took Me To Read: 1 day 

Plot Summary: Kintsugi - named after the ancient Japanese art of mending broken objects with gold - is a novel about young women breaching boundaries, overcoming trauma, and challenging the social order. And about men surprised by women who are unconventional, unafraid and independent. It is the story of Meena, rebellious and unexamined, and Yuri, as complex as Meena is naive. Of Hajime, outsider to two cultures, and Prakash, unable to see beyond his limited horizons. It is also the story of Haruko who has dedicated herself to her art, and of Leela who is determined to break gender roles and learn the traditional gold-craft of her community. Set between Japan and Jaipur, Kintsugi follows the lives of these characters as they intersect and diverge, collide and break and join again in unexpected ways. The result is a brilliantly original novel as profound as it is playful, as emotionally moving as it is gripping.

Things I Liked: 

1. I read the Bhaunri by the same author last year and loved it's unique story telling style and the writing had me very, very impressed. I also own Daura, the author's last (before this) release and I am looking forward to reading it soon. The writing here, was just as wonderful as her previous work. 

2. The thing I loved about this book the most was perhaps this sense of quietness that pervades it's entire length. I felt oddly soothed and comforted by this book and it's people. 

3. The setting of this book, takes us from Jaipur to Japan, to Singapore and to Turtle Island. Each of these places and the their inherent character adds to narrative meaningfully. Especially, the Jaipur portion of the book felt rich and lived in and alive in ways that made the stories so much richer and layered. 

4. The characters in this book aren't particularly happy or thriving, they are incredibly real and their humanness and flaws leap off the pages of this book. And are one of the best things about this book. 

5.  I love interconnected short stories, it's one of my favourite things to read and the connections between the various characters in this book is quite surprising and very satisfying. 

6. The Jaipur bits were my favourite to read and immerse myself in. The city and its bylanes and it's old homes are atmospheric and come alive in the book. I also loved the people we meet in Jaipur, the kind folks to open their homes and hearts to a foreigner and look after her like one of their own. I found myself getting very fond of these people and wanting to spend more time with them. 

7. The Japan bits were my second favourite portion of the book. Meena's taste of independence and finding her own way in Japan and falling in love with a woman is handled so well and sensitively and her confusion, and her slight loneliness are relatable and heartbreaking. 

8. I found myself rooting for Leela so hard and was so happy when we caught up with her a few years later. Her breaking the chains of tradition and learning the trade of her ancestors and stepping into the world meant only for the menfolk of her family, was so inspiring. 

9. Even the less than perfect characters are written with such skill and life that you really get to know to them and at some level understand them. 

10. Overall, this was a book that was slow, smooth and deep and rich and layered. I enjoyed it immensely and was found myself moved by it's writing and it's people and it's underlying message of broken people and broken people still living good lives and I guess, finding meaning and beauty in their lives. 

Rating: 4/5 

Thank you, Harper Collins for the gifted copy. 

The views and opinions are all my own. 



No comments: