Friday 24 April 2015

Happy World Book Day + 10 Reasons Why I Love Books!


Happy World Book Day! 

It's like Christmas for Book-Lovers...well almost. Last year, on this day I hit two bookstores and bought some books to honour the day of books. 

This year I went the online route and ordered some books from Amazon, they had a 60% Sale on certain books and I got a few books from that deal and a couple others on 50% off. Yay! Yay! Yay!  Once those books come in, a haul will come your way. :) 

I love books :) With all my heart and soul. And I have done so since I was a kid.

Here are my Top 10 Reasons for Loving Books: 

  1. Books tell stories---about people, places, history, lives, kings, queens, heroes, villains, knights, farmers, magicians, murderers, mothers, love, loss, lust...the scope of stories is endless and that is a truly wonderful thing!
  2. Books are the cheapest way to travel.
  3. Books are a great way to step away from your problems and take a break from real life. They let you escape from your life.
  4. Books are such a wonderful way to experience another culture.
  5. Books are often full of life-lessons. 
  6. Books make you think. 
  7. Books let your imaginations take flight. 
  8. Books are the best companions. 
  9. The utterly lovely book smell--- old musty books or the fresh crisp new book smell. I love both equally. 
  10.  Books are beautiful! Pretty covers, illustrations, end papers! So much scope for beauty. 
I could go on and on and on...I hope my love for books is a life-long one and I always enjoy the written word. I am a Reader...it' a huge part of my self-identity. A part of me that I love and I am so grateful for books and stories and beautiful writing. I've been reading since I was 6 years old and I've loved every minute of it. 

Stories have always been a part of my life. My grandma was a master story teller and my Dad too told us funny stories and jokes every night before we fell asleep. Afternoon naps were never complete without Maa reading to us from Bengali Story books...Abol Tabol in particular. My sister read from an early age and bought me books too and always told me the stories of the books she read. I started reading on my own and seriously since I was 8 years old..with good old Enid Blyton and fell in love with the written word. Since then my love for books has grown and how! :) 

Books are my comfort, my solace and my favourite way to spend time.

Happy Reading Guys :) 

No comments: