Saturday 12 March 2022

Weekend Reads: What I am Reading This Weekend - Something Light & Toni Morrison.

 Hello Loves! 

I took a few days off from Blogging. Not from reading though. I have been reading some pretty heavy books lately and they've taken up a lot of my head space and there's been a wedding in the family, so that's been the other thing in life that's taken up room in life. So blogging took a bit of a back seat unfortunately. 

Let's talk about the books I am reading this weekend. 


Recitatif by Toni Morrison: I started today, while still in bed, reading one of the greatest- Toni Morrison. Her new and only short story was a stunning as expected. I read it in one breath and really enjoyed it. It's an experimental story, about two young girls who spend a small portion of their childhood together in a home for lost/abandoned girls and meet a few times through their lives. We know they belong to two different races, one black and one white, we are just never told who is what. The girls meet a few times over their lives and we see America and it's racial tensions and attitudes. It's short and masterfully written and will leave it's mark long after you finish it. 
Briliant. 
4.5/5 


When Wildflowers Bloom by Rupa Bhullar: I just about started this book. Like I said I have been reading some pretty heavy books and I want something light..ish. This book seems to fit the bill. It's about a woman who embarks on a new life after her marriage falls apart. I could do with something contemporary and relatable right about now. Seems like a good thing to read this weekend with a cup of coffee for company. 


The Unseeing Idol of Light by K.R.Meera: I started reading this book yesterday and got to about 50 odd pages but I was enjoying it and it's very good and well written, but it's just so sad and grim and bleak. I just can't stomach it right now and I had to put it down. I don't know if I'll pick it up sometime soon or maybe get back to it in a few months time. I just know that I am not feeling it right now. Thought I'd share some of my DNFs on here too. 



As for what I am watching this weekend, I am finally watching Rocket Boys and it's sooooo good. I have cried and laughed and clapped already and I am only on episode two. I am hoping to watch all of it this weekend. Can't believe it took me so long to watch it. 
:) 

I hope you are having a lovely weekend as well. 


No comments: