Sunday 28 February 2021

Monthly Reading Wrap-Up: February 2021.

 Hello Loves!

February draws to an end and it's time to talk about everything I've read this month. 

I had a pretty decent reading month, I read 10 books in total. 

A good solid number and I read some pretty good books. 

So let's jump into it shall we.. 



1. The Adventures of Goopy The Singer and Bagha The Drummer by Upendra Kishore Ray Chowdhury: I started my month with this book and it made me so happy. This story and these characters were a  huge part of my childhood and it took me back to my childhood summers and watching the classic films adaptations of the book made by Satyajit Ray, who happens to be the author's grandson. 

Sweet, warm and funny and such great art. 

So much nostalgia.

This book is a total treat. 

5/5 


2, Grandparents' Bag of Stories by Sudha Murty: Another children's book for me and this time by Sudha Murty. A set of short stories set during the lockdown, stories old and new and full of love and connections between grandparents and grandchildren. Soothing and comforting, good for kids and good for grown-ups. 

4/5 


3. Grown by Tiffany D. Jackson 

4. Monday's Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson: I read two books by the author this month and I am a fan. She writes books based on real cases, stories from the News and fictionalises them. Stories of young black girls and their issues. 

Grown is about a young talented singer who is charmed and then preyed on by an older, established star. A story we all know and to see such stories on the News, it was interesting and heart breaking to see how these things affect the ones who live through this. 


Monday's Not Coming is about a young girl desperate to find her missing friend who no one else seems to miss. It raises the very valid question of if no one misses you are you really missing? 

I really loved both these books. 

I gave 4/5 to both books. 

Grown I liked a little bit better. 


5. Last Queen by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni: A historical fiction by one of my favourite writers. A bit of history I knew very little about and it was nice to read about a surprisingly strong and heroic woman. I am going to do a detailed post about this book soon. I am still mulling over how I feel about it I did like it for most part but there were some bits where I was quite bored during. 

3/5 


6. How To Be A Writer by Ruskin Bond: I've done a full review of this one. 

In short I loved it. 

This was my birthday read. 

Highly recommend. 

4/5 


7. If You See Me Don't Say Hi by Neel Patel: A collection of short stories set in the US, in Indian-American homes and families. Kinda melancholic, but heartfelt and sincere and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed pretty much all the stories in this set. I breezed through this. I picked it up on a whim and started reading it late one night and I found myself drawn into these stories and this diaspora world. 

4/5

8. The Burning Girls by CJ Tudor: Another favourite author of mine and this one was an atmospheric and spooky read. A full review for this one is up too. 

4/5 


9. Rebirth by Jahnavi Barua: Another read from my birthday week. A slow, deep, sad, heartfelt and moving and wonderful. I will do a full review soon. I do highly recommend this and Undertow by the same author, I read it last year and loved it. 

4/5 


10. Kadambari Devi's Suicide Note by Ranjan Bandyopadhyay: My last read for this month was this short novella about the death and life of Kadambari Devi, the sister-in-law of Rabindranath Tagore. It was interesting and gave you an insight into the illustrious Tagore family and the life and lows of a daughter-in-law of the family. 

2.5/5 

While I enjoy it for most part, I did feel like it would have made more sense in Bangla, some of it's essence was lost in English. 

No comments: