Friday 12 January 2024

Friday Favourites: 2 Romance Book Recommendations

Hello, hello,

And just like that the second week of the year draws to a close and it's FRIDAY! 

So, if you are planning on just chilling out this weekend, may we recommend a duo of romance books to get you all cozy and settled in?

Let's get into it, then!


Both these books are part of a series (the Windy City series) by Liz Tomforde. These are sports romances and if you haven't read any sports romance before (like I hadn't either), then let me tell you that it is not something difficult to read. As in, the books don't really get technical about the sport in question. 

So, it is actually pretty accessible and easy-to-read and get into the world of professional athletes and their love lives. :) 


Mile High 



Plot Summary: 

ZANDERS


Chicago hockey isn't complete without me - everyone's favourite player to hate. I know my role, and I play it well. In fact, I thoroughly enjoy spending the majority of my game time in the penalty box before leaving the arena with a new girl on my arm each night.

What I don't like is the new flight attendant on our team's private plane. She works for me, not the other way around. But I'll be sure to remind her of that, and I can guarantee, by the end of the season, she'll be begging to quit her job.

But every road trip blurs the lines, and I can't quite figure out if I keep pushing that flight attendant call button in order to push her buttons, or if it's more than that.

STEVIE

I've been a flight attendant for years. I thought I'd seen it all, but when my new job lands me onboard working for the most egotistical and self-righteous diva in the NHL, I start to second guess everything. Including the promise I made to myself of never hooking up with an athlete again . . . no matter how annoyingly tempting he may be.

Evan Zanders is unfiltered, unapologetic, and too attractive for his own good. He loves his image, but I hate everything about it.

Everything but him.

Mini Review: This is a good one to read if you enjoy love stories that are a little deep and have characters with real-life issues and insecurities. Stevie is plus-sized and has been made to feel like shit about her body by everyone, including her own mom. Zanders has abandonment issues stemming from his parents' divorce and he has been dealing with severe panic attacks for years. This is also a great book to pick up if you like male characters, who are empathetic and understanding and life up the female protagonist. So, this book has a lot to recommend it by. 


The Right Move 


Plot Summary: 

RYAN

She’s a distraction, that’s what she is. 

I’m the newest Captain of the Devils, Chicago’s NBA team, and the last thing I needed this year was for Indy Ivers, my sister’s best friend, to move into my apartment. She’s messy, emotional, and way too tempting.

But when the team’s General Manager vocalizes his blatant disapproval of my promotion to Captain, referring to me as an unapproachable lone wolf with no work-life balance, I can’t think of a better way to convince him otherwise than pretending to date my outgoing roommate. 

The only problem? Faking it feels far too natural. 

Having a fake girlfriend wasn’t supposed to be messy but having Indy under my roof and in my bed is complicated, especially when she wants all the romantic parts of life that I could never give her. 


INDY

I never imagined I’d be living with my best friend’s brother, NBA superstar Ryan Shay. Even more unbelievable? He needs me to act as his loving girlfriend who’s suddenly changed him into a friendly and approachable guy.

Because, well…he’s not. He’s controlling of his space and untrusting of others. 

Our arrangement isn’t one-sided, though. I’m in a wedding coming up, one where every one of my childhood friends, including my ex-boyfriend, will be in attendance, and there’s no better date than my ex’s celebrity hero. 

Blurred lines make it almost impossible to separate real from fake. Falling for my roommate was never part of the deal, especially when Ryan is quick to remind me that he doesn’t believe in love. 

I’m a romantic and can’t help fantasizing that he’ll change, but soon enough, I find myself questioning if sharing a roof with my best friend’s brother was the right move after all.


Mini Review: Okay, so, I liked The Right Move more than I liked Mile High and that is because both Ryan and Indy are just so, so amazing. Their love languages, their friendship, them opening up to each other. It is all very *chef's kiss*. 

Read this one! 


No comments: