Wednesday 31 January 2024

Monthly Reading Wrap-Up: January 2024.

 


Hello Loves! 

January is over and while so many people were complaining how long it was, I like January and the air of freshness and hope it brings with it. 

I try to read happy and good books in January, fully believing that what I read in January will shape the rest of my reading year. 

Well, January was largely a good reading month. 

I read 18 books. 

Out of which 6 were read for Japanuary. I have talked about all of those book in yesterday's post, so you can go on over that post and read my detailed thoughts about those books.

I read a fair number of kidlit, which I love. 

And some contemporary fiction. 

I read mostly physical books and a some books on my iPad. 

I read three graphic novels. 

Lots of translations. 

I bought ten books this month. 

A solid reading month. 

Let's talk more about each book I read this month. 


BOOKS OF JANUARY 2024: 


1. Animals in the House by Ruskin Bond: My first book of the year had to be something I knew I would love and who better than Ruskin Bond to kick start my reading for the year? 

I read and loved this little chapter book. 

I have a review up for this one. Go see. 

4/5 


2. How the Bamboo Got it's Bounty by Sudha Murty: Another chapter book and a thing of beauty and wisdom. 

Loved it. Reviewed it. See here. 

5/5 

My first five star read of the year. 


3. Heartstopper Volume 5 by Alice Oseman: Read the newest edition of Heartstopper and it was so nice re-visiting the whole gang. 

Reviewed this one too. 

4/5 


4. Welcome to Paradise by Twinkle Khanna: I was honestly surprised by how much I ended up loving this book and how much these stories moved me. 

Review for this one is up too. 

Seriously, pick this up. 

4.5/5 


5. The Gallery by Manju Kapur: I have read all of Manju Kapur's books, some I have loved and some left me a little bit conflicted. But I always look forward to the stories and people she conjures. This one was quite a ride and full of very real and unvarnished people. 

Reviewed this one too. 

4/5 


6. I Will Judge You by Your Bookshelf by Grant Snider: A fun and funny little comic book/graphic novel about books and bookish people and even the agonies and ecstasies of being a writer. This was adorable and funny and for a bookworm like myself very, very relatable. Enjoyed this immensely. 

4/5 


7. The Heiress by Rachel Hawkins: Hmmm...I am a little confused about how to feel about this book. Like, a part of me enjoyed this as I was reading it curled up in bed on a cold night, but then when I finished it..after reading it in pretty much one sitting..I don't know if I liked it all that much. The writing and the story were good, but there is something to be said about a book where every single narrator is kinda lying to you. I get unreliable narrators but this is taking it too far. This was giving Race 3 vibes.  

Hmm..

OK overall. I am happy to have read it but it's not one I would recommend. 

3/5 


8. The Memoirs of Valmiki Rao by Lindsay Pereira: This book is incredible. I read it at the perfect time and was moved, angered and deeply affected by this tale set in Bombay in 1992. A sorta re-telling of the Ramayana. This book is truly brilliant. 

I will do a full review soon. 

4/5 


9. A River Sutra by Gita Mehta: I have had this book for over a year. I bought while randomly browsing some second hand book shopping because it sounded like something I would like. This is a novel told via some interconnected short stories. A retired of sorts bureaucrat lives on the banks of the holy Narmada river and comes across a varied cast of characters. A monk, a courtesan, government officials, cops, singers and Sufis. We hear each of their backstories and I really enjoyed the book and I am so glad I chanced upon it. 

3.5/5 


10. Love and Lust, Stories and Essays: A book I read via Kindle Unlimited. Some excerpts and stories from a host of writers, Manto, Vikram Seth, K.R. Meera and others. A quick read full of love and a whole lotta lust. 

3/5 

11. The Museum of Failures by Thrity Umrigar: I loved this book. I didn't quite enjoy the author's last book, so this one was picked up with slight reservation. But this book took me in from the get go. A book about family secrets, an ailing mother and her son and decades long misunderstandings and family secrets. So good. So damn good. Please, pick this up. I am sure you'll love it. 

4.5/5 


12. Kolum Kanna by Vibha Batra: I read the sweetest book to end my reading this month. This is a story about a young boy who is a talented kolum artist and all he wants to do is participate in a kolum contest but people are hell bent on keeping him and his dreams in check. This book was so warm and sweet and full of kind people. A great book for kids and even grown-ups. 

4/5 


Now for the six books I read for Japanuary. 

13. to 18. 

The Premonition 

Sweet Bean Paste 

What You Are Looking for is in the Library 

She and Her Cat 

The Strangers 

Himawari House 

You can read my thoughts about these books OVER HERE. 


💛💛💛💛💛

A good reading month. 

I can only hope the rest of the year is just as stellar. 

Oh, and if you think I read a lot of books...let me tell you about my sister who read some 52 books. 

Yup, 52.

All romance. 

She is finding a lot of comfort in some romance reads and has been reading like a woman possessed. 

😄

I hope January for good for you too. 

See you in February. 

No comments: