Wednesday 8 February 2017

Monthly Reading Wrap-Up: January 2017.



Hello! 

Time to recap and talk about everything I read in January. 
January was a good month, I read 14 books and that is a good way to kickstart a new year. 
 I did make a TBR, but I didn't share it on the blog nor did I particularly stick to it. 
I read what I felt like and it was nice. 
There were a lot of ebooks and I loved my Kindle. 

Let's get into all books I read in January and how I felt about them. 

JANUARY READS 2017! 

1. A Book of Simple Living: Notes from the Hills by Ruskin Bond: I started my year with some Ruskin Bond and it was a good decision. I spent most of my month with this book. I started it on the first day of the year and finished it on the last day of the year. I took my time with it and loved all the comfort it brought me. An easy little happy read. 
4/5 

2. Sherlock Holmes- His Last Bow by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: Another great way to start the new year. To be honest I didn't wholly love this book. This is a later in life work from the author and I didn't really love most of these stories. Some were much better than the others. 
3/5 

3. Kathputli by Ushasi Sen Basu: I really loved this book. A book about a Bengali family both in the present and in the 1940s, a lot of family secrets and even about mental illness and overcoming a sad past. So good and so well written. 
4/5 

4. Penumbra by Bhaskar Chattopadhyay: This was my favourite read of the month. Some very strong Feluda vibes in this book. Murder in a secluded house and everyone in the house is a suspect. Loved it!
5/5 

5. Second Lives by Anish Sarkar: This book started really well and for most part it was an interesting and engaging read. But the ending was so incredibly disappoint and out there and completely ruined the book for me. 
2/5 

6. Mango Cheeks and Metal Teeth by Aruna Nambiar: Another book I loved. Full of nostalgia and family and the joy that was summer holidays. So good, even though the ending was a bit sudden. But still a book I thoroughly enjoyed. 
4/5 

7. Patang by Bhaskar Chattopadhyay: This one was a disappointment from the middle of the book. I had high hopes after loving Penumbra but my hopes were sadly dashed. 
3/5 

8. Her Every Fear by Peter Swanson: So good! I really enjoyed this book but it wasn't nearly as good as the author's other book The Kind Worth Killing but I still did enjoy it, some elements were a little bit out there and the main mystery was given away by 44% of the book. 
Hmm! 
3/5 

9. The Vegetarian by Han Kang: It's been a while since I've been so confused by a book. I am confused about how I feel and whether I liked it or not. It was wonderfully written but it was a strange, strange little book. 
I am still mulling over it and trying to make up my mind. 
3/5 

10. The Best Friend by Shalini Boland: I raced through this book and really liked it. There isn't much of a mystery but it is a good psychological thriller. 
Full review coming soon. 
4/5 

11. The Serpent's Revenge- Unusual Tales from the Mahabharata by Sudha Murthy: Comforting and easy and happy stories. Not wholly unusual to me since I am a big Mahabharata buff still enjoyable though. 
3/5 

12. The Girl from the Sea by Shalini Boland: Fun and pacy and a quick and engaging read not as good as The Best Friend but still a decent read. 
3/5 

13. Wrong, For the Right Reasons by Ritu Lal: A book about a woman in India living her life on her own terms after a bitter and long suffering divorce. Society, people and even family don't leave you be. A hard hitting novel, a little bitter and angsty but an interesting read. It could have been shorter and edited better but I still did enjoy it. 
3.5/5 

14. The Memory Watcher by Minka Kent: A wonderful book to end the month. I loved this book and read it in one sitting.  So good!
A full review is coming soon! 
5/5 

Phew! 
All done. 
January was a good reading month. 
I can only hope that the rest of the year is as good. 
:) 


No comments: