Thursday 2 January 2020

First Read of 2020: Greatest Works of Rabindranath Tagore.



Hello 2020. 

Starting my new year with Tagore. 

I thought long and hard about my first read and I couldn't think of a better option to kickstart this new year and decade than a Bengali legend Tagore. 

This gorgeous book was a recent purchase from my local book fair. 
It is beautiful and consists of Tagore's most popular short stories, poems, a novel- The Home and the World- Ghaire Baire and even his autobiography. 
I don't think I'll be reading the whole volume at one go. 
I am currently reading the short stories and will stick to just those. 

I am really, really enjoying these stories. 


Some of the stories I've been reading. 



There is nothing quite like getting cozy under my quilt and reading the words of Tagore. 
The range of these stories are pretty diverse and range from domestic concerns, to dwindling fortunes, there is even a spooky story or two. 


Tagore is a staple in my home.
Everything from his music to poetry and his words have always been present. 
I started reading his work, on my own, not counting the poetry that I'd heard recited. And I could finally see why he is so deeply revered in Bengal. 
The sheer volume of the work he created is astounding. 
I am so grateful for translations and the translators that enable so many readers to have access to writers such as him. 


No comments: