Sunday 5 January 2020

Weekend Reads: What I am Reading in the First Weekend of 2020.


Hello! 

The first weekend of 2020 is here and my plans for this weekend is to chill and read a little bit. 
This is my last weekend in the hometown, my longgggg vacation ends next week and I am sad about leaving here. 
So this weekend I plan on spending time with my rents and get started on my packing. 
I have to much to stuff back in my suitcases.
God help me! 
Or, more like Maa help me :) 

But the little time I can spare, I intend of reading two books I am current reading. 

1. The Monk as Man- The Unknown Life of Swami Vivekanand by Sankar: My family are big believers of Ramakrishna Paramahansa and Maa Sarada and Swamiji. Their pictures have always been in our home and Ramkrishna Mission is where most of my father's side of the family have taken diksha. My father often quotes Swamiji, especially when it comes to matter of religious rigidity. 
When I spotted this book at the local book fair, I knew I had to get it and read about the man my family holds in such high esteem.
I know very little about Swami Vivekananda. 
So this is going to be an eye-opening read for me. 
I am a little bit in and so far...I am enjoying his life story, especially learning about his early life and struggles within his family. 
So good. I am glad I picked this book up and am reading it so early on in the year and in the month of his birth. 


2. Strange Stories by Shreya Sen-Handley: I am also reading these short stories on my Kindle at the moment. I am two stories in and as of now it's OK. I liked the first story but not the second one. Let's see how I feel about the book by the end of it. 

Plot Summary: A disenchanted wife embarks on a one-night stand... A wheelchair-bound poet comes home to roost, upsetting the balance of his carer's life... A troubled mother finds solace in an unusual place... A man begins to steal office stationery for no apparent reason... The stories in Shreya Sen-Handley's Strange are about everyday people whose lives take unforeseen turns. Suddenly, they find themselves drawn inexorably into encounters and situations that weren't part of their plan, but which result in the shocking revelation of buried parts of their psyches. 

This is a book that will have you engrossed as you try to guess what happens at the end of each story, and its characters will haunt you for a long time after you've turned the last page.


I hope you guys are having a good weekend. 
:) 

No comments: