Tuesday 7 January 2020

2020 Reading Resolutions.


Hello! 

I am a big old resolution maker. (Like you didn't know that!) 
I like setting goals and I try my level best to stick to them.
It's nice to have a basic guideline to give some structure to my year. 
Both in regular life and in my reading, I like having my goals set early in the year, the very beginning of January, so my year follows the goals. 



2020 READING RESOLUTIONS/// 

1. READ 100 BOOKS. 

100 is a good solid number, it's been my go-to goal when it comes to setting my Good Reads Reading Challenge. Every year I tend to surpass it. Which makes me inordinately happy. But even if I end up reading just 100 books, I'd be perfectly happy. 


2. DNF BOOKS I DON'T LIKE. 

I have the hardest time sticking to this goal, but already, in mere 7 days of 2020, I've put aside a book I wasn't enjoying. I started reading a collection of short stories, got 4 stories in and didn't like what I was reading, so I stopped. Honestly, life is far too short to read books that don't spark joy. 

3. RE-READ AT LEAST 12 BOOKS. 

I have a large personal library, which is a total blessing. I must do it justice and re-read books I love. No point in just hoarding books and not diving back into worlds and stories I love. 

4. READ MORE TRANSLATIONS

Both from India and around the world. I love reading translations, I am so grateful for the translators and their work that allows us to have access to books in languages unknown to us. 

5. READ ALL THE MINI BOOKS I OWN. 

In the last few years I've gone on to collect a lot of mini-books. From the Penguin Black Books, Penguin Moderns, Vintage Minis and even the Faber mini books. I have around 20-25 of these books and I have read a few of them. I'd like read all of these books by the end of the year. 

6. READ A FEW MORE CLASSICS THAN I USUALLY DO. 

I always have this goal on my list and I do moderately well on it. I might not read the true blue classics, but I do end up reading quite a few modern classics and Indian classics. 
This year I'd like to made a dent in my precious Penguin English Library editions. 

7. READ OLDER BOOKS ON MY SHELF. 

I have some books on my shelves that have been waiting to be read for over 10 years now. Not cool, not cool at all. I want to make some progress on them and if I find that I don't want to read them anymore, I should let them go. Set them free in the world. Free up some space on my shelves. 

8. CULL MY SHELVES. 

Get rid of some books I've read and don't intend on re-reading. Books deserve to be read and loved. And I am honestly running out of space on my shelves, I need to make room for new books and hence I need to sell off some of my older books. 


9. BUY BOOKS SENSIBLY. 

I love buying books. It's an instant pick me up for me. I love spending time in bookshops and online stores and finding a bunch of books to buy. In the last few years I've been good about my book buying. I want to continue this in 2020 too. Buy sensibly. But at the same time, I want to buy the books I want to read and not feel too guilty about it. Books bring me joy and I don't want to deny myself that pleasure. 

10. READ THE BOOKS I WANT TO READ. 

I read for pleasure. Pure and simple pleasure. It has always been the one thing that brings me joy. I don't want reading to ever feel like a chore, this is the main reason I don't accept all review copies and only pick books I actually want to read. I also want to read the books I want to, not books that are hyped or ones that everyone else is reading. 

Do you make reading resolutions? 
I hope I stick to mine this year. 
Fingers crossed for 2020. 



No comments: