Thursday 9 January 2020

Book Haul: Books of November 2019 + Reviews.

Hello! 

Super late in sharing my super small book haul from November. For some reason, I didn't buy that many books in November. I just bought 2 books and received one review copy from a publisher. 
I have read all of these books, so I figured I'd share my haul and my thoughts about these books. 



1. The Last Seance Tales of the Supernatural by Agatha Christie: A collection of short stories from the Queen of Crime. Some of them dealing with the supernatural, well most of them were fairly eerie. Some of them were straight up crime stories with a hint of other worldly vibes. Creepy, atmospheric and perfect reading material for winter nights. I read this over the month of December. These were mostly stories featuring independent characters but I was also happy to run into some familiar faces- Poirot and dear Miss Marple. 

4/5 


2. My Father's Garden by Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar: This novella length novel is told in three parts. 
We meet the unnamed protagonist when he is in medical student and falling in love and grappling with his sexuality and relationships. 
In the next section we meet him in during his first posting as doctor in a government hospital and we see power struggles and unscrupulous people. 
In the third and final part, we learn more about the narrator's family, especially his father and his ancestral home and village and adivasi life. 

This is my second time reading a book by the author, I previously read The Adivasi Will Not Dance and loved it. This one was no different. Well-written, relevant, stirring and moving. I loved all three sections and enjoyed them equally. 

4/5 

Plus, how beautiful is this book?!
Very! 




3. Paper Moon by Rehana Munir: A story about books and bookshops and feeling lost in your 20s. 
This book just made me happy and took me back to a very happy time in my life. 
I have already done a full review of this book, which you can read HERE.
Another gorgeous book inside out. 

4/5 

Thank-you Harper Collins for the review copy. 



BOOKS BOUGHT/// 

The Last Seance by Agatha Christie 
Paper Moon by Rehana Munir 
My Father's Garden by Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar 


No comments: