Monday 28 December 2020

Top 5: Favourite Non-fiction Reads of 2020.


Hello Loves! 

Today I want to talk about my favourite non-fiction reads of 2020. 
If you know me or have followed me for any amount of time, you'd probably have noticed that I am not a big non-fiction reader. 
I would much rather read a work of fiction. 
But ever now and then I read a bit of non-fiction and find myself very, very taken by it. 
Here are my favourite Non-Fiction Reads for 2020.


1. Remnants of a Separation by Aanchal Malhotra: This book should be an essential read for people in our subcontinent. Seriously, everyone should read this book. It's brilliant and fantastic and I loved it so much. It is definitely something I'll re-read over and and over again and one that I will always recommend.   A full review can be found HERE. 


2. Good Talk by Mira Jacob: A graphic memoir of what it means to be brown or black in today's America. It's a book about race, racism- both overt and micro-aggressions and identity. A mother's conversations with her son about these sensitive and troubling topics was a revelation and brilliant. I did a full review for this one too, can you can find it here. 


3. Educated by Tara Westover: I am very, very late to this party but I am glad I finally found my way to this book. For years now (ever since this book came out) I have heard only incredible things about it. A journey of a young girl from a very...different family, one that lives by it's own skewed principles and doesn't value a formal education and is often cruel and abusive and how she charts her own course and finds herself soaring in the most respected educational institutions in the world. It's both inspiring, surprising and frightening. I reviewed it here. 


4. Behold, I Shine by Freny Manecksha: I went into this book thinking it's fiction but I was happily surprised to find it's a non-fiction collection of stories about the women and children in Kashmir and how the problems in the valley have affected them and how their lives have been altered by living and surviving in a place torn apart by violence. I really liked this book so much and I think it's important to talk about and hear about the lives of these women. Highly recommend! 





5. Parveen Babi by Karishma Upadhyay: Finally, on my list is a Bollywood star's biography, however even if you are not a Bollywood buff or know anything about retro Bollywood or Parveen Babi, this is still an incredible book about mental illness and how truly debilitating it is. It was enlightening and heart-breaking and so well and sensitively done. I did a full glowing review for it here. 


No comments: