Sunday 20 December 2020

Blogmas Day- 20 Favourite Indian Books of 2020 (Fiction).

Hello Loves! 

Today I am here to list some of my favourite Indian Fiction Reads of 2020.

I read a lot of Indian books, they are certainly my favourite kinds of books to read, there is so much talent in our country and so many incredible writers. So picking just a few faves is a little bit of a struggle. 

Oh, not all of these books were released in 2020, some are older gems that I Read this year. 

Cool. 

Chalo let's jump in. 


 



1. The Greatest Works of Rabindranath Tagore: This was my first read of 2020 and it was a good way to kickstart my reading year. Tagore is a Bengali home staple. I have always been surrounded by his work, whether songs or poetry or his stories. I haven't read a lot of his work. But over the last few years I've tried to fix that. I loved this collection of stories, I picked it up at my local book fair and read it in the first week of January. I really enjoyed it and I highly recommend it. 


2. The House of a Thousand Stories by Aruni Kashyap: A novel about coming of age,  family, struggle, insurgency and life in a village in Assam during the early 2000s and how a young boy who grew up in a sheltered and protected bubble in Guwahati sees the reality of life in the face of a tragedy. I loved this book, it took to me a place and world I don't know enough about. So good! This book also made me want to read more stories from Assam and I am happy to report I've read some 4 other books set in Assam this year. 


3. Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line by Deepa Anappara: This for some odd reason was my birthday read this year. This book came with a lottttt of hype and a whole bunch of positive reviews. So going in, I was a little apprehensive but boy this book blew me away! It was heartbreaking, difficult to stomach in parts but necessary and wonderful and well-written. So good, so bloody good! Full Review is Here. 


4. Suralakshmi Villa by Aruna Chakravarti: This book combines a few of my favourite things: family- a Bengali family at that, secrets, a slight air of mystery, love and kinship and ties and bonds that defy logic. A warm, sometimes sad but wholly immersive read.  Full Review is Here. 


5. The Shape of Family by Shilpi Somaya Gowda: A book about a family in the face of a loss, seeing each member recover/fall apart/deal with this loss and where it leads them is so fascinating. Also- Cults. If you've wondered what kind of people fall prey to charismatic cult leaders...look no further. I really enjoyed this book and the surprising turns it took and the places these characters ended up. 


6. A Burning by Megha Majumdar: This book felt like someone read all the horrible News stories in 2020 and put them in a book in a way that will get under your skin and stay there. Relevant AF, doesn't quite feel like fiction and scary...scary in the way that something reflects our sad reality is. Please read it. It's terrifying but so good. 


7. The Green of Bengal by Gautam Benegal: I loved this collection of short stories. LOVED IT. Comforting, wonderful and so familiar. It made me so homesick for home...Bengal. Full of characters warm and flawed and life in a middle class Bengali homes. What's not to love?! 


8. Wonder-World and Other Stories by Sunil Gangopadhyay: A collection of short stories is next on my list by one of my favourite Bengali writers- Sunil Gangapadhyay. Written in his trademark style and about a wide mix of topics- villagers, city folks and even characters from mythology. 


9. The Radiance of a Thousand Suns by Manpreet Sodhi Someshwar: This sweeping novel just took my breath away. It managed to keep me hooked, broke my heart, introduced me to some incredible women and felt like a hug. Set in India, New York and set across tragic events- the partition, the 1984 riots and 9/11...I know it feels like a lot but I promise it's done just right. 


10. Bombay Balchao by Jane Borges: This wonderful book was perfect in every which way...even how it looked! Interconnected short stories set in a Bombay that is rapidly vanishing. A book about my favourite city in the whole wide world and full of some amazing people. Full Review is Here.


11. The Alchemy of Secrets by Priya Balasubramanian: Another story set firmly in today's India and what communal violence and this those 'us-them' othering does to even the closest relationships and bonds. Set in Bangalore in the aftermath of the 1992 riots and then in the early 2000s, this novel takes you inside the fear and paranoia that comes with communal tensions. Sad, relatable and well-written, this was such a joy to read. 


12. Undertow by Jahnavi Barua: A story about family, estrangement, loss and reconnection. It was beautiful and moving and so relevant in our current climate. I loved it, even though it made me sad...very sad but it was well worth it. 

Now for some honourable mentions: 



Those Delicious Letters by Sandeep Mukherjee Datta: Warm, cozy, fun and full of Bengali food and a kind grandmother-esque character and letters! This book was a delight! 




White Tiger by Aravind Adiga: This book took me by surprise, I went in expecting...not a whole lot, which is possibly kinda stupid since this won the freaking Man Booker Prize in 2008. But I loved it..so much. Full Review is Here. 



No comments: