Monday 15 January 2024

Book Review: Welcome to Paradise by Twinkle Khanna.

 


Book: Welcome to Paradise 

Author: Twinkle Khanna 

Publisher: Juggernaut 

Pages: 224 

How Long it Took Me To Read: 2 days 

Plot Summary: Huma’s divided family – Team Cemetery and Team Crematorium– clash hilariously over matters involving pigs and penises as they decide what to do with Amma’s body. Madhura Desai writes an email to the chief justice of India, urging him to choose a ‘nice cut-off age’ to die, sending shockwaves across the nation. Along the shores of Satpati, Nusrat grapples with the loss of her son, and her voice. And Amita tells her husband about her breast implants but not about Bua, Bangalore and beautiful men.

Perfectly observed, shot through with light and shadow and wry humour, Welcome to Paradise confirms Khanna’s reputation as one of our most masterful storytellers.

Review: I have read both of Twinkle Khanna's previous books and enjoyed both of them. I oddly don't remember much about them and maybe at some point I'll re-read them. I went into this book expecting a light, fun and easy read. Something to enjoy. I went into hoping for a good time and some humour. A good time book, a happy book--something that I wanted all of my January reading to be. Simple, happy and joyful. 

Instead, I found five stories that each had so much heft and heart and each of them moved me. Full of characters teeming with life, longing and hope and ennui. This book is quite easily Twinkle Khanna's best yet. These stories are quite exceptional. Some longer than others, some short but impactful. A collection that's absolutely worth your time and one that took me by surprise, in the best possible way.

There are stories about grief and loss, aging, euthanasia, love, addiction, duty, longing and infidelity. Mothers and daughters. Marriage. Second chances. 

The characters, even minor ones are written so deftly and with so much warmth and nuance. And some characters that will absolutely break your heart and make you want to reach into the book and hug them and make them a cup of tea. 

I honestly loved all of these stories, they took me by surprise and I thoroughly enjoyed my time spent with these stories and these people. 

Rating: 4.5/5 





I highly recommend this book. There is a story or two for everyone. 

No comments: