Tuesday 2 January 2024

Book Review: Animals in the House by Ruskin Bond.


 Book: Animals in the House 

Author: Ruskin Bond 

Illustrator: Saumya Oberoi 

Publisher: Puffin India 

Pages: 48 

How Long it Took Me To Read: 20 minutes or less. 

Plot Summary: ‘Grandfather and I saw eye to eye on the matter of pets, and whenever Grandmother decided it was time to get rid of a tame white rat or a squirrel, I would conceal them in a hole in the jackfruit tree.'

Instead of having brothers and sisters to grow up with in India, young Ruskin had several odd companions, including a monkey, a tortoise, a python and a Great Indian Hornbill. His grandfather was responsible for all this wildlife, and their home in Dehra became a centre of action and laughter as a variety of creatures were brought home―the furry, feathered, fierce and friendly―all under one roof.

Bursting with delightful illustrations, this chapter book features endearing characters and hilarious episodes, making it a perfect introduction to the wonderful world of Ruskin Bond!





Review: I adore these Puffin Chapter Books. They are bite sized little tales. Perfect for kids, especially those who've just started reading books on their own. I am, of course not in that life stage :) 

Still these books make me so happy and are always a good time. 

I picked this book as my first read of 2024. I wanted something I knew I would love. Like a slam dunk of a book and of course you just can't go wrong with Ruskin Bond. 

This book is about the early years of his life and the many animals that lived in his grandparent's home. If you are familiar with Bond's writing and his life story, you already know about his zany grandfather and his love for animals of all kinds. I love, love, love reading about grandparents and this book has such a warm and fuzzy grandfather that it will warm your heart. 

I loved the stories about an impish monkey, a turtle, dogs, some buffaloes and even a python! 

Sweet, simple, heart-warming and charming- a classic Bond experience. 

A book to read and savour and love. 

I enjoyed it immensely. 

Rating: 4/5 

Some pages from the book are below. 

I recommend this for any kid in your life or a grown-up who enjoys whimsy and is a Ruskin Bond fan. 









I was lucky enough to get a signed copy. 


No comments: