Wednesday 29 December 2021

Favourite Non-Fiction Books of 2021

 Hello, hello,

I am for most part a fiction reader and a fiction lover. I have always been drawn to fiction more than any other genre under the sun. Lately, in the last few years I've tried to branch out and read and incorporate more non-fiction in my life. I don't think there will ever be a time when the scales will dip towards non-fiction in my life but I would like to read more from this varied genre. 

Non-fiction books are interesting because they tell real stories about people from different walks of life. This year, I read some really interesting ones across sub-genres and I thought I'd share my favourites here. 

Let's get to it, shall we? 



1. Childhood Days by Satyajit Ray: This year was Ray's Centenary and a lot of things went Ray themed. I started my reading year with Ray and read a lot of his work. So of course I read his childhood memoir too. Full of stories from his earliest years, some memories of his father and his childhood home up to his early years as a film maker. This book gives us a glimpse into his genius and the life behind the public life. Enjoyable and wonderful and a must read for a fan of his work. 



2. Dead Men Tell Tales by Dr. B. Umadathan: 2021 was a year of Malyalam thrillers for me. I watched so many classic Malyalam whodunnits and this name appears in the credits of many of the films from the 80s and 90s. This collection of tales from the illustrious career of Kerala's imminent Police Surgeon was a hoot from start to finish. True crimes from the Police Files were both shocking and gripping. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, so good.  If you enjoy true crime and forensic science pick this book up.


3. Ghosts in our Backyard by Alisha 'Priti' Kirpalani: If you know me at all you know what I am huge horror fan and when it comes to horror I am not terribly discerning. I will watch and love it all. Seriously, I will watch anything that is remotely spooky. But the one genre within the horror umbrella that is very close my desi heart is the Ramsay Brothers cinematic universe. There is such a nostalgia in my heart for this films and even today if I see Purani Haveli playing on TV I drop everything and watch it. So these stories by a member of the Ramsay family, about some of the real life haunting she and several members of the family experienced throughout their lives was a treat in every single way. I read this book in one sitting and I loved it so much. Made me want to watch a Ramsay films immediately. So good. Perfect for OG fans and for those who enjoy real life horror stories. 


4. The Good Girls: An Ordinary Killing by Sonia Faleiro: From one kind of horror to another. Sonia Faleiro's well-researched and nuanced book sheds life on a horrific real life case from recent times. A case that is shrouded in so much mystery, misgiving and so much controversy. The infamous Badaun Case from 2014 is brought to life in this book and is done with such a balanced approach. Read it but go in with massive Trigger Warnings for sexual assault and violence. 






5. Empress, The Astonishing Reign of Our Jahan by Ruby Lal: This book is how I kicked off Nonfiction November and it reminded me just how much I love history and studying history. About Empress Nur Jahan and her reign, this book is a deep dive into her life and times. I really enjoyed this book and it has made me want to read more history in the coming year. 


6. Notes on Grief by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: This year and the one before have been ones for loss and grief. No one is untouched by loss during this pandemic. Especially this year has been one loss after another. This book voices what loss feels like and what grief viscerally feels like. CNA is an incredible writer and this book about the loss of her beloved father and what his passing meant to her, her pain and grief comes through with every word on every page. Powerful and moving and brilliant.  


7. Rumours of Spring by Farah Bashir: The best part about reading nonfiction is reading about lives different from yours and seeing the other side of stories you only ever see on the News. For a better part of my life, Kashmir has been in the News and for most part all of it has been bleak. Kashmir and it's people have existed in our imaginations as how the News framed them and their experience. But I'd rather see them and their stories and their life on their terms and in their words. This book about a girlhood in Kashmir is so important to read and bear witness to. To see the life behind the gory News stories. I am so glad I read it and cannot recommend it enough. 


8. An Educated Woman in Prostitution by Manada Devi: This book is the memoir of an impossible life, one that could easily be fiction but life, real life is often stranger and sadder than fiction ever could be. Manada Devi, a contemporary of my great-grandmother, came from a similar background as my family. She could easily be a relative of mine. But her life, her choices took her on a entirely different path. I read this book moved by her journey. Surprised by it and wanting to reach out and comfort her and tell her she shouldn't be so hard on herself. She was  teenager and none of this was (entirely) her fault. Thought provoking and brilliantly translated by Arunava Sinha, this one is an intriguing read.  


No comments: