Monday 20 December 2021

Blogmas Day XX: Favourite Children's Books of 2021.

 Hello Loves! 

How is this Monday treating you? Can you believe this is the last full week of 2021! Where does time go?! 

Well, let's kickstart this week with a list of my favourite kidlit of 2021. 

I love reading Children's Books. They are my idea of comfort, joy and something to read when life seems a little too sad, when I want to read something simple yet profound and comforting I turn to Children's Books. A hallmark a good Children's Book is that it works for both kids and grown-ups. 

:) 

Here are some of my favourite Children's Books from 2021. 


1. The Railway Gang by Ruskin Bond: Of course we kick things off with Ruskin Bond who is a forever favourite. This little book was a thing of joy. Stray dogs living in a railway station and the kind people they interact with. Sweet, wholesome and a great way to show kids how life is for strays animals in our country and teach them how to be kind to the animals on the street. 

4/5 

A quick little read. But one that I loved so much. I read this for free via Kindle Unlimited. 


2. Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne by Upendrakishore Roychowdhury: I finally read this Bengali classic this year and it was such a treat. A joy from start  to finish and such a wonderful story full of magic and adventure and two iconic characters of Bengali literature. The films are wonderful and a huge part of a Bengali's life but this book is just as charming and ever-so-slightly different. Lovely. So glad I finally read it. 

5/5

 A thorough joy. If you love the films you have to read this charming story. 


3. Grandparents' Bag of Stories by Sudha Murty: Another forever favourite makes it to the list. I really Sudha Murty's writing both for adults and children. Her kid's books are always full of life lessons and charming stories with magic and mythology. This collection of stories was set during the lockdown and about cousins sent to the village to spend time with their grandparents and how stories keep them occupied and teaching them about the world and important life lessons. 

Such a joy to read. 

4/5 


4. Why is my Hair Curly? by Lakshmi Iyer: This was such a delightful read. A story about a young girl who feels different because of her curly mop of hair and how it occasionally makes her life difficult. There is also an element of mystery here about a mysterious older lady who our protagonist befriends. A happy nuclear family, siblings, fitting in and standing out. A nice book for kids and grown-ups. 

4/5 



5. The Gopi Diaries Finding Love by Sudha Murty: More Murty and more adventures of Gopi who I met last year and was more than happy to reunite with in this book. A book about a dog...I mean come on! What's not to love. Adorable all around. A heart warming story and some gorgeous art. 

Perfect! 

4.5/5 


6. The Bird with Golden Wings by Sudha Murty: I promise this is my last Murty on the list. 

:)

This is a collection of short stories set in magical kingdoms, about kings and commoners, brave, kind and spirited people. A wonderful read for the kid in your life or even you. Plus illustrations. 

Good all around. 

4/5 


7. Shyamchi Aai by Sane Guruji: This one is a Marathi classic, which I read the English translation of..I mean I could have read the original in Marathi but it's been a while since I could read Marathi fast. So a translation it was. There is so much goodness in these stories and so much heart and old world wisdom and lessons. A story about good people and kind people living simply and admiringly. 

So good. 

4/5  


8. Tales from my Heart by Ruskin Bond: Another Bond on the list, it's no surprise. 

This is a collection of stories by a writer whose work evokes so much joy and nostalgia for me. These stories were a mix of his trademark style and old stories and some new tales. A quick little read packed with so much feeling and heart. A great pick for a Bond fan or a good way to introduce a kid to the magic of Bond. 

4.5/5 



9. The Adventures of Feluda by Satyajit Ray: The Feluda Stories are a goldmine. A classic and an enduring love of mine. Every Bengali child has read and loved these stories. I read them for the first time over a decade ago and this year I have been reading them slowly and savouring them. I pick them up when I need a pick me up. They are smart, action filled stories of crimes and sleuthing. 

Read these if you haven't already, perfect for kids and adults. And please watch the films. You can thank me later. 

5/5 

A million stars actually. 

10. Let's Go Time Travelling Again by Subhadra Sen Gupta: This is such an amazing way to learn about history, and more interestingly history of the common people and not just Kings and Queens. To see how regular people lived way back when. A bit of history and a lot of excellent story telling. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. 

4/5 

This book was sent to me by the publishers. So thank-you Penguin India. 

:) 


I also want to make a special mention and shout out to the amazing folks over at Story Weaver, I read quite a few of their books over the year and it is such an incredible place to read stories for free for you and the littles in your life. Do go check them out and read a whole bunch of amazing stories. 


No comments: