Thursday 2 December 2021

Blogmas Day II: Book Haul from Book Chor & Lock The Box Sale.

 Hello Loves! 

For today's Blogmas post I want to share my most recent book haul. I have not been sharing my book hauls on the blog this year, not because I haven't been buying books but because for some reason or another, I tend to forget to photograph said books! 

:( 

That sucks because who doesn't love a book haul? 

This year my book buying has been sedate-ish. I have bought alll my books online, 2021 will go down as another year where I didn't step into a single book shop. Not one. But...but my small town is about to have Boi Mela in a couple of days so maybe my dry spell is about to end and some joyful book buying shall happen. 

Another new thing in my book buying behaviour this year is my open mindedness towards buying used books. I am not a used book person. Not in the least. I am not one of those people who wax eloquently about the joys of old and used books. I prefer my books new and shiny and smelling pristine. Plus this behen has a serious case of germaphobia. :( So for the longest time I absolutely abhorred the mere mention of buying used books. I did buy an occasional used book in my youth aka college and later but for most part my personal library is 98% brand new. 

But this year I think I have bought a considerable amount of used and gently pre-owned books. I am slowly coming around to buying old books and not being so uptight about it. Plus it's kinder to my pocket and bank balance and the environment. 

Book Chor has played a big part in said transformation. 

I have been buying from them since 2018 and I am very pleased with their service and for most part (like 95%) the books they sell are in pretty good shape.

I am not a full convert though. I will always, always prefer new books to old books but I like that 2021 has been a year of making some little changes to my book buying habit. I am still a little squeamish about germs and I actually use a book jacket on some old books. Hey, whatever helps me I guess? 

Last month..or was it end of October..well..whatever, the folks at Book Chor and Lock The Box had a book sale online, they usually do this in person and across a host of different cities. But this time it was happening nationwide and online. So I decided to give it a whirl. Honestly, I wasn't even sure how it worked and it took me some time to figure it out. 

:) 

So this book sale basically involved choosing a box size of your choice. 

Shortlisting books you want. 

Going to check out and seeing what books fit in said box. Move thing a or two and make your box. 

Pay. 

And you are done. 

I had a good time choosing my books and then moving things around making my final box. 

I ended up with 11 books. Which is not bad at all. 

Let's see my haul now. 



Here's the box. 
All books fit snuggly in this little box. 
I chose the smallest size. Since I was trying this for the first time. And 11 books is enough books to buy at one go. 


Here are my books. 

Some are new. 4 are brand new. 

The rest are used. 

And one, the Arvind Adiga one came a little more beat up than I would have liked, but the rest were in pretty perfect shape. And I am very happy with this haul. 

And with Lock The Box in general. 

I would recommend you check them out and get yourselves soon books for very good deals. 


A glorious stack. 
I love that this is a mix of literary fiction, world fiction, Indian Literature and kid lit. 
Basically just the kinds of books I adore most. 


A travelogue of sorts and since I am not travelling at all this will be a good way to travel a little. 


I have read Stephen Alter before and when I spotted his debut novel I knew I had to get it. 


A kid lit about kids, cricket, friendship and an owlet. 
What's not to love?! 
This one looks so cute and I am sure it will be a fun read. 


This one is set in Nigeria and is about a family whose fortunes change overnight. 
Sounds good and I am hoping to get to it soon. 


A historical fiction set during the Raj. A love story of sorts, I mainly got this for my sister who loved historical fiction. 



Ruskin Bond is always a good idea. 


This one I've already read. I talked about this in my wrap-up. It's basically about a young boy who finds out a devastating family secret and goes about making things right. 
Moving and relevant. 


A book about a family in Calcutta..yes please! 
This one sounds like something I will love and I am so excited to get to it soon. 


I have been meaning to read Ali Smith's Seasonal Quartet for ages and I finally got two books out of four and am hoping to read these soon. This is the right time to read Winter and if I am not terribly wrong...you can read them in any order? If not it's time to find Auturmn and Summer and then read them in the right order. 


Next I got a collection of short stories by Ashok Ferrey. I have read him before and I am happy to read more from him and Sri Lanka. 


I read White Tiger last year and since then I have meant to pick up more of Adiga's work and I was so excited to read this but sadly this came a little too shabby and gross and I won't be reading this copy. 


And Spring. 

I really hope we can read these in any order so I can get to these soon. 

Ah! 

What a good bunch of books. 

I already have another order from Book Chor on the way. 

What?

There is no such thing as too many books!

I have 10 more books headed to me, so expect another Book Chor Haul soon. 



No comments: