Thursday 23 December 2021

Blogmas Day XXIII: Favourite Short Stories of 2021.

 Hello Loves! 

I feel like 2021 has been the year of the short story for me. I read a LOT of short story collections this year. Which in itself is not out of the ordinary, I have always enjoyed short stories but this year I have found more comfort in short stories than before. Maybe some of it has to do with after Covid effects, when my attention was easily muddled and I preferred reading a short story instead of diving into a full length novel. 

So here are my absolute favourite short story collections from 2021. 



1. Immoderate Men by Shikhandin: I picked this book on such a whim. I thought to myself, well you only seem to read about women and their stories, won't it be nice to read about men for a change? I am glad I had this fleeting thought and that lead to this book and I am so glad I read this little gem. The stories here are about men in all sorts of shapes and forms. Good, creepy, sad, lost and so incredibly real and flawed and beautifully written. I loved this collection so much and you know what while I still prefer reading about women, this little foray into men's minds was a good experience. 

4.5/5 


2. Padmavati The Harlot and Other Stories by Kamala Das: This is a recent-ish read and my second foray with Kamala Das. I loved this book so much. It's a short little book, perfect to squeeze in these last few days of 2021. Das writes such visceral and powerful stories that they take your breath away. Women are front and center in her work and that's what makes them special. Pick this up, you won't regret it. 

4.5/5 


3. Essential Items by Udayan Mukherjee: Another recent read of mine and one that I really enjoyed. It brought so many memories and feelings of the lockdown and the early days of this never ending pandemic.The range of these stories is commendable, I especially appreciated that the writer went across class lines and geographic lines. We saw people in cities struggle with being cooped up and we saw migrant workers make their way home, we see an older couple trying to find medicines and we see the privileged throw a party to beat the sameness of their days.  I loved every single story in this book and I loved the writing so much. This is my third time reading this author and he is someone I will always pick up and read. Highly recommend. 

4.5/5 


4. Name Place Animal Thing by Daribha Lyndem: A book that fills you up with nostalgia about a time gone by. Stories about family, growing-up, friendships and even politics and unrest. Wonderful and moving. 

A full review can be found here. 

4/5 



5. A Night with a Black Spider Stories by Ambai, Translated by Aniruddhan Vasudevan: This was my second or maybe third time reading stories from Ambai and I am a fan. Her stories maybe short and swift but the impact the power in them will linger on. These stories were a joy to read and I cannot recommend them enough. 

4/5 

I read this entire collection in pretty much one sitting and couldn't get enough. You can get a copy of this book for pretty cheap on Book Chor so do check it out.


6. Storywallah by Neelesh Misra's Mandali: A short story collection by a story telling collective. That just sounds good. From what I gather these writers all originally write in Hindi and a lot of their stories were first shared on an FM Radio show which is quite popular. This is the first time their stories have been translated into English and put in a anthology. I went into this book knowing or expecting nothing, and I was blown away by the range and variety of these stories and the many voices in this collection. I honestly enjoyed every single story and I am so glad I took a chance on these tales. Most of these are set in small towns and deal with feelings of home and homesickness and self discovery. Just the sort of thing I like. This book too was read in a single day, I could not put it down. 

4/5 


7. Women Who Misbehave by Sayantani Dasgupta: This was honestly a cover buy, well most honestly a title buy. The book name sounded so good and like something I would enjoy and I did. Stories about women, real women, women like you and me and women perhaps considered a little wild and a little non-sanskaari. A good ride this was and if you enjoy reading about women this a good collection of stories to dive into.

4/5 



8. Mortuary Tales by Kashif Mashaikh: I read this collection of stories around Halloween, thinking they'd be super spooky and eerie. Some were and some weren't. Instead of getting a lot of horror I got a mix a few elements, some scary and otherwordly, some about gangs, mafia and life and people and relationships and crimes, but all infused with wisdom. I really enjoyed these stories and I wasn't disappointed that they weren't all straight up horror stories. Plus these were set in Mumbai and acted as a balm to my homesick heart. 

4/5 


9. Spooky Stories by Tanushree Podder: LOVED. LOVED. LOVED these stories so much. Everything about this book from the setting to the stories themselves were perfect. Pick this up now and treat yourself to some ghostly stories. You can thank me later. An absolute delight these stories were. 

4.5/5 


10. If You See Me Don't Say Hi by Neel Patel: This book was all over IG  a couple of years ago when it first came out but I never picked it up, I read it this year and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed these stories. They remind me of Jhumpa Lahiri's stories, no I am not saying they are just like her work, no they aren't but the essence of these stories reminded me of Lahiri immensely. Maybe because like Lahiri's stories these are set amongst Indian families in America. If I remember correctly the book even starts with a quote by Lahiri. The themes of identity and family expectations and race and being Indian abroad are things I tend to enjoy and are done very well here. I enjoyed these stories and the writing very much. 

4/5 


Side Note: I also read and loved short stories by two of my ultimate favourite writers Jhumpa Lahiri and Haruki Murakami, the only reason those books, Whereabouts and First Person Singular, are not on this list is because they will be on my Literary Fiction Favourites list. Just thought I'd mention this here. 


No comments: