Friday 10 December 2021

Blogmas Day X: And Just Like That (First Impressions and Feelings)

 



And Just Like That..we are back with the women who defined what being independent, imperfect and fabulous was like in the early 2000s. 

Carrie. 

Samantha. 

Miranda. 

Charlotte. 

Women I love. 

And a world that feels like home and familiar. 

I love this show. 

Sex and the City was (and is) easily one of my ALL-TIME favourite TV shows. 

I think the world of these women and the writing of this show and what this show meant for single women and how it made being single and successful and independent the normal back when a single woman in her 30s was something to pity. This show is iconic and path-breaking and I am truly sorry if you were too young or not around to experience it when it first aired. 

And I am even more sorry if your first exposure this universe was through the films. 

We, the OG fans, like to pretend the films didn't really happen...especially, the travesty that was the second film. 

Yikes. 

No. 

When this revival was announced I had some mixed feelings. Sure, I was going to watch it but I wasn't sure I was going to love it. 

Well, tonight we watched the first two episodes and I have some feelings. 

This is going to be a spoiler-free review. 

So, let's jump into it. 

THINGS I LOVED: 

1. Being back with people I know and love. Seriously, so much of these first two episodes felt like walking through the doors of a very old friend's home after years of being apart. You are happy to see them and see how they've changed, how they've grown and see their families and kids. Hear the inside jokes and just feel transported back to a world that makes you happy. 

2. The one thing I wasn't sure how they would handle is Samantha missing from the show. And I am so relieved that this missing piece or the elephant in the room was addressed in first three minutes of the show and a little later we got a much more detailed explanation. And even though it was hard to imagine this world and these women without the legendary Samantha Jones, I am surprised to report that after a point you don't even realize we are missing one member of the quartet. 

3. Right off the bat, the whole tone and voice of this show is so much in sync with the original show, so much more than the films ever were. It genuinely feels like were back in the same universe, the films gave me a bit of dissonance with it's loud treatment but this show gets it so right from the very beginning. 

4. Style is such an important part of this show and so far I love the styling. Lily's Oscar De La Renta floral number was a thing of delight. And I spent a lot of time staring at everyone's bag. Oh good times. 

5. There is much more diversity on the show, which is a good change from a predominantly all white cast. For a show set in New York an all white cast is a bit strange. 

6. I love seeing these ladies as older women trying to adjust to the new world. Still trying to be relevant and "cool" and trying to be as woke as they can with some disastrous consequences. Yup, talking about poor Miranda here. 

7. There are some additions to the show and I really like the Wexleys and the folks Carrier is working with. 

8. Also it's so nice to see the kids all grown up. I sound like an aunty but I don't even care. 

THINGS I DIDN'T QUITE LOVE: because there wasn't anything I really hated. 

1. I miss Carrie's monologue that ran through the original show and was funny and added so much to the show. 

2. Something about the first episode felt a little abrupt. Like the writing didn't make it easier to catch up with the people. We start with the ladies brunching (a classic) but we don't know much about what they've been up to for the last few years. We last met them in 2010 and it's been a while and there was so much to catch up on! Does Carrie only write books now? No columns? How long has Miranda been a pro-bono lawyer/student? How long has Samantha been out of their lives? Maybe we'll get all these answers later on but I would have liked a low down from the get go. 

In short, I love the show and I am happy to be back in New York and back wit the ladies and their lives and loves and laughs. 

After the last nearly two years I am happy to be comforted by an old favourite. 

Do watch it if you are a super fan of the original show. 

And if you haven't watched Sex and The City...please for the love of God watch it. 




I literally just finished watching the first two episodes and starting writing this. 

Just Like That. 

:) 

No comments: