Thursday 30 July 2020

Book Review: The Shadows By Alex North. (The Shadow Friend)


Book: The Shadows

Author: Alex North

Publisher: MacMillan

Pages: 359

Read On: Kindle

How Long it Took Me To Read: 6 hours (I could not, would not put it down.)

Plot Summary: Twenty-five years ago, troubled teenager Charlie Crabtree murdered his friend and classmate.

For Paul Adams, it's a day he'll never forget.
He's never forgiven himself for his part in what happened. He's never gone back home. But when his elderly mother has a fall, it's finally time to stop running.
It's not long before things start to go wrong. A copycat killer has struck. Paul's mother insists there's something in the house.

And someone is following him.
Which reminds Paul of the most unsettling part of what awful day.

The fact that afterwards, Charlie Crabtree was never seen again . . .

Things I Liked:

1. I read The Whisper Man by Alex North last year and loved it. It was everything I expect in the thriller and then some. I can't believe I didn't do a full review for it, but I loved it so much, it was creepy and scary and so good. I highly, highly recommend you pick it up and give it a read. So when I saw that the writer had a new book out, of course I wanted to read it and I did just that! This book had me at hello, I mean it just sounds amazing and creepy and something about old crimes and teens doing despicable things always interests me (in fiction and not in real life!). So I knew going in that this would be a ride I'd enjoy and I did.

2. The book moves back and forth in time and I loved both time periods equally, I loved seeing what happened 25 years ago and how what happened then is effecting things in the present. Normally, in books with a split time narrative, I find myself enjoying one time period over the other. But it was nice to be just as invested in the lives of people in both eras.

3. The whole lucid dreaming thing was a trip. It was done so well, creepy and mysterious and it kept me wondering if what was happening was real, as in was there some supernatural or paranormal phenomenon going on or was it something far more mundane, albeit still evil but entirely human. I don't know about you, but I love book that make me question the direction in which things are headed. Especially when it comes to a genre like this, is it a thriller or is it a horror? And what do you, as a reader believe in?!

4. Charlie Crabtree, is our big bad. We are told this from the offset, so this is no spoiler. He is pretty darn dark and creepy. Enigmatic, he reminded me of cult leaders, wielding power and sway over a group and getting people to fall in line and do his bidding. He is an interesting character and his escape inspiring other enough to follow in his ghoulish steps was entirely believable.

5. Teenage friendships are often hard to understand when we look back, the dynamics and the things we got up to is pretty intense and in hindsight sometimes risky and plain stupid. Things we'd never do now, but back then, at age 15-16 they seemed so right, so harmless. We've all done things, said things we wish we could take back. To see this common place occurrence taken down this dark and seedy route was interesting to read. I love reading about friendships and group dynamics, it was the only reason I watched horrible shows like Bigg Boss (an Indian version of Big Brother) and it's the reason why I love reading about cults.

6. This book is very atmospheric, the woods, the dreams, the murders and even Paul's home seem to be brimming with dread and spooks.

7. This book has amazing pace, it just doesn't let up. I had the hardest time putting this book down. The book moves seamlessly between our two time lines and keeps you hooked.

8. Paul, will break your heart. It was unexpected how much I grew to care about him. He is someone who suffered through something pretty traumatic as a young adult and left his home, his small town and even his mother behind to run from this past, only to come back and find himself back to the old nightmare he's tried very hard to forget. He is clearly someone who hasn't lived up to his full
potential ,  someone who possibly believes he doesn't deserve a good life. What happened in the past has shaped his present in a significant way and he has always lived under the shadow of his past. I couldn't help but root for him and by the end of the book, I wished him well.

Things I Didn't Like:

I did for most part enjoy this book. I really did and I do recommend it.

However, I guessed the BIG twist very, very early on. It didn't exactly take away from my overall enjoyment of the book but it would have been nice to be surprised or shook by it. I also guessed several other plot points and little twists along the way.

Also, by the end of it, I felt like there was way too many things going on in this book.


Rating: 4/5 

No comments: