Saturday 23 January 2021

Weekend Reads: What Me & My Sister Are Reading This Weekend.

Hello Loves! 

How is your weekend going? 

Mine is fulllll of books. 

My day started with some very happy book mail and I spent my morning reading on the terrace with my sister. 

My sister finished a book this morning and started a new book too. 

This is what we are reading this weekend. 

:) 


 

A stack of our Weekend Reads. 




Our current reads. 

My sister is reading Daura by Anukrti Upadhyay. 



Unforeseen Desires by Anil Chopra: It is the 1970s and the Emergency is at its peak. Arun, an idealistic young man, is a medical intern in Dehradun whose life takes an unexpected turn when he is accused of losing a senior doctor’s wedding rings. As he begins his search for the rings, he meets Victoria, an older English missionary, who has made India her home. Arun persuades her to rent him a room in her compound, and, slowly, over shared meals and games of Scrabble, the two form an unlikely bond. In Victoria, Arun finds a patient listener and a spiritual anchor, while he reminds her of a long-lost love. 


Amidst the increasing tension regarding the lost wedding rings and his ambiguous relationship with Victoria, Arun is forced to choose between Sujata, his fellow intern who is engaged to be married and Trishna, a nurse who loves him in spite of his indifference towards her.

Seeing Arun struggle, Victoria offers to help him compensate for the rings and find a job and it seems like Arun’s troubles have come to an end. But when the government changes with the end of Emergency, both Victoria and Arun must decide whether they can continue living in the country.

A charming, often poignant, novel that captures the lush beauty of Dehradun, Unforeseen Desires is a bittersweet coming-of-age story.

I started reading this book yesterday and I am quite enjoying it. Glimpses of The Emergency and life in a small town and an ill-equipped hospital and a young doctor finding his way in the world and growing up. It's slow, soothing and makes for interesting reading. I am a little bit in and can't wait to sit down and focus and read more of it. 



Daura by Anukrti Upadhyay: A journey into the dark heart of the desert.A young District Collector is posted to one of the furthest outposts of rural Rajasthan, and finds himself drawn deeper and deeper into the lives and troubles of the common people there. Then one day, with the help of a mysterious musician, the Sarangiya, he has an encounter with beauty in its purest, most absolute form - an encounter that precipitates a dangerous descent. The pages from the journal he keeps are combined with the narratives of various people around him to create a compelling account of his slide away from reality. 

Half real and half fable, and redolent with the songs and myths, the beauty and mystery of Rajasthan, Anukrti Upadhyay's Daura announces the arrival of a powerful new literary talent.

My sister is currently reading this beautiful book and quite taken by this world and it's people. 

I am hoping to read it soon too. I've read the author's other works and enjoyed them too. 




Jungle Nama by Amitav Ghost, Illustrated by Salman Toor: This is my happiness for today. A new book from my favourite writer and such a beauty too! 

Jungle Nama is a re-telling of the legend of Bon Bibi from Sunderbans. Beautifully illustrated and gorgeously rich and with words of Amitav Ghosh. A whole lot of magic. I am trying to not rush through it and savour this book. I started reading it the moment it arrived. 


I hope your weekend is going well too. 

Chalo, I am going right back to my books! 

Have a good one folks! 

Happy Reading! 

No comments: