Wednesday 27 January 2021

Book Review: Jungle Nama by Amitav Ghosh.

 



Book: Jungle Nama 

Author: Amitav Ghosh 

Illustrator: Salman Toor 

Publisher: Harper Collins 

Read On: Hardback Edition 

How Long it Took Me To Read: 1 Day 

Plot Summary: Jungle Nama is Amitav Ghosh's verse adaptation of an episode from the legend of Bon Bibi, a tale popular in the villages of the Sundarban, which also lies at the heart of the novel The Hungry Tide. It is the story of the avaricious rich merchant Dhona, the poor lad Dukhey, and his mother; it is also the story of Dokkhin Rai, a mighty spirit who appears to humans as a tiger, of Bon Bibi, the benign goddess of the forest, and her warrior brother Shah Jongoli. 

The original print version of this legend, dating back to the nineteenth century, is composed in a Bengali verse meter known as dwipodi poyar. Jungle Nama is a free adaptation of the legend, told entirely in a poyar-like meter of twenty-four syllable couplets that replicate the cadence of the original. 



Thoughts:  A new Amitav Ghosh book is a cause of serious celebration in my corner of the world! When  this book arrived I legit did a happy dance, it made my day. I read it pretty much in one sitting. I started reading it the moment it arrived. 

Thank you to the publishers for sending this my way. 

The review and thoughts are all my own. 

Things I Liked: 

1. Let's get the obvious out of the way:  any and all of Amitav Ghosh's writing, whether prose or verse is always brilliant. He could write in Limericks and I'd probably love it just the same. He is one of my favourite writers and I adore everything he writes. This book was no different. I loved the word play and the cadence this folktale is told in immensely. It was a delight to read from start to finish. 

2. The legend of Bon Bibi is one that I heard of when I was little, but I re-introduced to it through the works of Ghosh himself, first in The Hungry Tide and then again in Gun Island. It is a delightful myth about a fearless protector of Sunderbans, who keeps it people safe from the elements and the dreaded Dokkhin Rai. I was happy to go back to this world and learn more about Bon Bibi and Dukhey. 

3. The art in this book is stunning and perfect for this story and it's mood. It's dark and menacing and gritty. 

4. This tale of greed and avarice and is perfect for readers of any age. And honestly will work well for kids and  at the same time it was thoroughly enjoyable for an adult too. 

5. It's theme isn't dated at all too, these themes are sadly just as relatable and relevant as its always been. 

6. The experience of reading this book was an immersive one, the words and art and the mood of this book all blend together wonderfully and keep you invested and hooked. 

Rating: 4/5 

Wonderful all around! 


No comments: