Thursday 14 December 2017

Book Review: Diary of a Wimpy Kid The Getway by Jeff Kinney.





Book: Diary of a Wimpy Kid The Getaway

Author: Jeff Kinney

Pages: 225

Publisher: Puffin

Read On: Hardback

Plot Summary: Greg Heffley and his family are getting out of town. 

With the cold weather setting in and the stress of the Christmas holiday approaching, the Heffleys decide to escape to a tropical island resort for some much-needed rest and relaxation. A few days in paradise should do wonders for Greg and his frazzled family.
But the Heffleys soon discover that paradise isn't everything it's cracked up to be. Sun-poisoning, stomach troubles and venomous creatures all threaten to ruin the family's vacation.

General Thoughts: I bought the first book in the Wimpy Kid series way back in 2009 and I really loved it. It was funny and full of laugh out loud moments. At the time I didn't even know that this was a full fledged series so I didn't go actively looking for the other books. In 2012 I read the next few books in the series and those were fun too. Then again, life and other books make it to my radar and I sorta forgot about these books. I own at least the first 8 books of the series on my iPad. I need to go catch on this series because I do enjoy it so much.

Puffin India sent me this book for review and I spent a happy evening reading this book.
As always the thoughts and opinions are my own.

Things I Like:

1. This book is the 12th book in the series but you can honestly read it without having read the books that came before it. I have read only the first 4 books in this series but I didn't feel lost while reading this.

2. The writing and the illustrations are both great.

3. The absolute best part of this book is however it's humour! It's so funny. I was cackling away as I read this book. So good!

4. The premise of this book- a doomed holiday - is very enjoyable and sadly something I can relate to very well. My family has had some legendary flop holiday adventures. Trains running late and annoying people on flights and hotels that were dismal. We as a family have lived through it all! So to me this book was relatable as hell.

5. This is a such a quick and happy read. I loved my time I spent with this book.

6. With Christmas round the corner this book is a great gift for a younger reader in your life.

7. Even though intended for a younger audience, I think this book works just as well for grown-ups. The humour and the premise work well for every age group.

Rating: 4/5


No comments: