Wednesday 11 September 2013

Review: Wonder by RJ Palacio.


Book: Wonder

Author: RJ Palacio

Pages: 342

How Long it took me to Read: 2 days.

Plot Summary: August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?

Characters: The pages of this book was full of wonderful (no pun intended!) characters. 

Our main characters, Auggie is a delight to get to know and read. A 10 year old boy born with a facial deformity is a pretty unique voice and perspective. He has spent his whole life being stared at  and even ridiculed. Starting regular school for the first time, you can almost feel his fear and worry and apprehension. I love Auggie and rooted for him. I read most of the first portion of the book worried sick that some pesky bully would be mean to Auggie and I'd be bawling like a maniac. But Auggie's voice and his life is something to be admired. 

I also loved Auggie's family, his parents sound wonderful! Strong, kind, funny and all round good people. I also loved Via, his big sister, who is real and human and loves Auggie but at the same time is a little over being known as the sister of that kid with the weird face. 

There are also Auggie's friends  old and new. I especially loved Summer and Jack- Auggie's new friends at school. 

What I Liked: I loved pretty much everything about the book. As much as I loved hearing Auggie's side of the story, I loved it even more when the book goes into the perspectives of the other characters. We hear Via's perspective and those of Summer, Jack and even Justin- Via's boyfriend. I liked that we could see how the rest of the world viewed Auggie and their thoughts about him. 

I also really liked the writing. It is simple and effective and the book is split into small chapters, making it a quick and easy read. Something that even kids can easily read. 

What I Didn't: Nothing really. 

General Thoughts: Reading this book reminded me of being 10 and being so afraid of sticking out. Wanting to fit in is such an all-consuming thing. I cannot even imagine how difficult it for someone like Auggie to go to school and be the center of all this unwanted attention and looks. It was hard to read certain portions of the book and I hated reading how cruel kids can be and how hurtful people in general are capable of being. 

Weirdly though the only time I cried in the book was reading Via's perspective- I thought it was great that we got to see how it is for the other/normal/regular child to grow up in the same house as a child with special needs. It broke my heart reading about Via, who was only four when Auggie was born and how since then she has had to take care of herself, because her parents, for obvious reasons, have had to pay closer attention to Auggie. I loved that this perspective and side of the story was included in the book. 

Will you Like it? Yes! 

Rating: 4.5/5 

No comments: