Wednesday 30 October 2013

Halloween Reads: My Current Reads/// What I am reading This Halloween!



Book: Ring

Author: Koji Suzuki

Pages: 282

Plot Summary: A mysterious videotape warns that the viewer will die in one week unless a certain, unspecified act is performed. Exactly one week after watching the tape, four teenagers die one after another of heart failure. 

Asakawa, a hardworking journalist, is intrigued by his niece's inexplicable death. His investigation leads him from a metropolitan tokyo teeming with modern society's fears to a rural Japan--a mountain resort, a volcanic island, and a countryside clinic--haunted by the past. His attempt to solve the tape's mystery before it's too late--for everyone--assumes an increasingly deadly urgency. Ring is a chillingly told horror story, a masterfully suspenseful mystery, and post-modern trip. 

General Thoughts: The Ring is one of my absolute horror films and I always knew it was based on a book but I never thought of reading this book till now. I don't know why it took me so long to get to this book. I am a silly, silly girl! 

I am currently reading this book and am about 60-70 pages in and I am enjoying the book. It is very, very different from the movie, the biggest difference being the lead character/investigator is a man, not a woman. In my books these differences are a good thing, it makes reading this book seem like a new experience and not just reliving the movie. 

I will do a proper review once I am done reading this. 



Book: My Cousin Rachel

Author: Daphne Du Maurier

Pages: 374

Plot Summary: Orphaned at an early age, Philip Ashley is raised by his benevolent older cousin, Ambrose. Resolutely single, Ambrose delights in Philip as his heir, a man who will love his grand home as much as he does himself. But the cosy world the two construct is shattered when Ambrose sets off on a trip to Florence. There he falls in love and marries - and there he dies suddenly. In almost no time at all, the new widow - Philip's cousin Rachel - turns up in England. Despite himself, Philip is drawn to this beautiful, sophisticated, mysterious woman like a moth to the flame. And yet ...might she have had a hand in Ambrose's death?

General Thoughts: I recently reviewed Rebecca and if you've read that you know how much I enjoyed that book. I wanted to read more of Du Maurier's works, last year I read a short story collection of hers and wanted to sample another full length novel of hers. I bought this book way back in February for my birthday and it sat un-read all this time. I picked this book up this week thinking this is a perfect time to read it. 

I am about 120 pages in and while I am enjoying it, it is a little slow. It is not a bad book, not by a long shot. The writing is great and the atmosphere is great but nothing much seems to be happening. So I picked up Ring to read simultaneously. 

I am going to finish this book and I cannot wait to see where this book goes and what really happened to cousin Ambrose and whether cousin Rachel is innocent or evil? 

Book: The Historian

Author: Elizabeth Kostova

General Thoughts: My sister recently reviewed this book on the blog, you can read it HERE. She's been asking me for years and years to read this book. So if I manage to finish the two books above (I am being mighty ambitious) I will finally make it to this book! 

No comments: