Friday 25 October 2013

Halloween Reads: Review for Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.




Book: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Author: Ransom Riggs

Pages: 368

How Long it Took Me to Read: 1 day (I was hooked from the word go!)

Plot Summary:

A mysterious island.


 
An abandoned orphanage.


 
A strange collection of very curious photographs.


 
It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive. 

General Thoughts and Review: I read this book over a year ago, so while it might not be fresh-est in my mind, it has left quite an impact. A year on, I still remember how much I loved it and I cannot wait for it's sequel to come out and I cannot wait to see what happens to Jacob and his new friends.

But now to the book at hand. Jacob is 16 when he witnesses his beloved grandfather being killed in front of his eyes. Furthermore, he thinks he saw, even though he knows it's plain absurd, a monster like creature attack and kill his grand-father. Jacob has a very close and special  relationship with his grandfather, who helped raise him and told him stories of a house full of peculiar children. He even showed Jacob photos of said children. While Jacob believed his grand-father when he was a kid, ever since he's grown-up, he's thought these were stories and nothing more. But his grand-father changes everything. 

Jacob, with his father, travels to the location of this house and there begins his adventure. 

The story moves at a great pace and kept me hooked and I couldn't wait to find out what happens in the book. The writing was good and the characters realistic and likable  I liked Jacob and I absolutely LOVED the peculiar kids. They were so sweet and simple and lovable. 

But the absolute smashing bit of the book were the creepy vintage pictures! Oh My God!!!! I cannot tell you how long I spent staring at the weird pictures and can assure you, you'll love them too. They blend easily and wonderfully with the narrative and add to the spook factor. 

I really loved this book and I cannot recommend it enough. 

Rating: 5/5 

No comments: