Saturday 4 January 2014

Sister Reads| Reading Resolutions for 2014



I am not much of a planner- for pretty much everything in life. So, I don't really plan what I am going to read in the year ahead, but I have seen my sister's reading-related goals every year and I love how she manages to achieve most of them, which really inspired me to put some down of my own.

So, here they are.. My 2014 Reading Resolutions:

  1. Read at least one classic from a never-before-read author >> I have always shied away from reading the Russian greats like Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy, so, this year, I have decided to read my first Dostoyevsky. I think I will start with Crime and Punishment. 
  2. Read some translated works by Bengali authors >> It is a shame that I can't read Bengali as fast as I read English. This really hampers my willingness to read Bengali writing in, er, Bengali. So, in 2014, I really want to read translated works of Tagore, Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay and Bankim Chandra. I am really looking forward to this. 
  3. Read stories from countries/parts of the world I haven't read about (in fiction) before >> So, any good recommendations of book by Eastern European authors? Or any new African authors? I read and loved Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie last year and I want more of African literature! Also, any recommendations of Aussie authors? 
  4. Read the Nancy Mitford novels >> Pooja has been reading these and laughing out aloud, so I really want to get in on the giggles and read these books as well. 
  5. Do not labour over a dull book >> I started reading The Luminaries. Yup, the very one that won the Booker last year. A N D. It did not grip me. The writing style, the plot, the characters.. none of them seemed interesting even after being 200 pages in. I kept on reading in spite of not enjoying the book, because, come on, it won the Booker dammit! I gave up only when Pooja told me that life is too short to waste on books that we don't like. Well, I tried. I gave it 200 pages. 
  6. Read new genres >> I don't read a lot of fantasy fiction or even paranormal/supernatural themed books. Oh, or even pure and simple horror stories. So, this year, I will read one of each and I eagerly solicit your recommendations. 
  7. Just have fun >> After all, above all, reading is supposed to be fun. I want to read books that make me happy, make me think, make me feel. 
Here's wishing all of you a very bright and happy 2014! 

If you have any author/ book recommendations or reading resolutions, please share. :) 

No comments: