Saturday 7 September 2019

Weekend Reads: The Carpet Weaver + Kanpur Khoofiya Pvt. Ltd. + The Family Upstairs.

Hello! 

This is such a rainy weekend, it's made perfectly for staying in and reading. 
And that is exactly what I plan to do. 

So far my weekend has included, sleeping in. 
Lemon Rice for lunch. 
Coffee. 
&
Reading. 

This is what my sister and I are reading this weekend. 


I am reading two books actually, one a physical book and another on my Kindle, that I tend to pick up  before bedtime. So I can read easily and not be fussed about holding up a hardback book when I am sleepy. 

THE CARPET WEAVER BY NEMAT SADAT: I am very little into this book, like 40 odd pages. It's set in 1977 in Afghanistan. It's about a boy coming of age  and grappling with his queerness in a world where it's impossible for him to be his true self. Love. Shame. Family. Political changes and so much more make up this book. 
I am really enjoying it so far in. 

PLOT SUMMARY: Afghanistan, 1977. Kanishka Nurzada, the son of a leading carpet seller, falls in love with his friend Maihan, with whom he shares his first kiss at the age of sixteen. Their romance must be kept secret in a nation where the death penalty is meted out to those deemed to be kuni, a derogatory term for gay men. And when war comes to Afghanistan, it brings even greater challenges-and danger-for the two lovers.
From the cultural melting pot of Kabul to the horrors of an internment camp in Pakistan, Kanishka's arduous journey finally takes him to the USA in the desperate search for a place to call home-and the fervent hope of reuniting with his beloved Maihan. But destiny seems to have different plans in store for him.


THE FAMILY UPSTAIRS BY LISA JEWELL: I am also reading this very dark and eerie book at the moment. On my Kindle, I started last night, right before sleeping and I love it so far. It's spooky and told from multiple perspectives and I can't wait to crawl into bed and binge read it. 

PLOT SUMMARY: In a large house in London’s fashionable Chelsea, a baby is awake in her cot. Well-fed and cared for, she is happily waiting for someone to pick her up.
In the kitchen lie three decomposing corpses. Close to them is a hastily scrawled note. 
They’ve been dead for several days.
Who has been looking after the baby? 
And where did they go?
Two entangled families. 
A house with the darkest of secrets. 




KANPUR PHOFIYA PVT. LTD BY RICHA S MUKHERJEE: My sister is working this weekend, for most it. But she started reading Kanpur Khoofiya Pvt. Ltd last night and has been really enjoying it. It's funny and the mystery is promising so far in, she is about 70 pages and really keen to read this tonight, once her work is done. 

PLOT SUMMARY: Meet Mr Prachand Tripathi, private investigator and owner of Kanpur Khoofiya Pvt Ltd. Accustomed to tracking down missing pets and cheating lovers, he is about to have his world change completely when a new case requires him to tail actress Shailaja Kapoor. What seems like a simple request turns into a dramatic dive into her murky past, wading through which is not going to be easy. Or safe. Soon Prachand and his wife, and partner against crime, Vidya, fall under the glare of the police as Shailaja Kapoor is abducted right before their eyes. Now he must put his skills to the test before they become victims at the end of a dark and dangerous game.

Thank-you to the publishers, Harper Collins for sending this book my way. I am so excited to read this book. It sounds like so much fun. 


I hope you are having a lovely weekend too and it's full of good books. 
:) 







No comments: