Friday 1 August 2014

Reading Theme: Indian Books in August + August 2014 To-Be-Read List!



Yay! It's that time of the year again...the time to set a Reading Theme and read all things India. 
I did the same thing last year when I read only Indian books in the month of August to celebrate The Indian Independence Day, which is celebrated on the 15th of August. In honour and celebration, I decided to dedicate a month of reading all things India...but...I also included the Indian subcontinent in my reading plans. This year I'll be reading books from both Pakistan and Bangladesh apart from India. 

I have a sligtly ambitious reading-list, but lately my reading game has been super on point. In the last few months, I've been reading around 25 books a month...I KNOW RIGHT!? Insane..but good insane. So I've added a few more books to my TBR and I tend to fly through Indian books, must be something about knowing the setting and background really well. 

I also have a motley number of books I'd like to re-read, I won't get to all of them, but I'd like to get to some. 

So here it is..my TBR for my All-Indian-Books Month. 
If you want to join in the madness, please do! The more the merrier! :) 

1. Red-Earth and Pouring Rain- Vikram Chandra 
2. Bookless in Baghdad- Shashi Tharoor 
3. The Return of Butterfly- Moni Mohsin; from Pakistan
4. The Ice-Candyman- Bapsi Sidhwa "
5. The Anti-Social Network- Piyush Jha 
6. Fasting and Feasting- Anita Desai
7. Fire in the Mountain-  "
8. Midnight's Children- Salman Rushdie (RR) 
9. The Hungry Tide- Amitav Ghosh (RR) 
10. Two Virgins- Kamala Markandaya
11. The Home and The World- Tagore 
12. The Golden Age- Tahmima Anam (RR)- this one is from Bangladesh 
13. The Corpse Bearer- Cyrus Mistry 
14. Hanuman's Ramayana- Devdutt Pattnaik 
15. Sita: An Illustrated Re-Telling of the Ramayan- Devdutt Pattnaik 
16. Secrets- Ruskin Bond 
17. The Lives of Others- Neel Mukherjee (this just got Long-Listed for the Man Booker!) 
18. Sunlight on a Broken Column- Attia Hosain 
19. Girl in the Garden- Kamala Nair (RR) 
20. Inside The Haveli- Rama Mehta 

So much reading! I can't wait to get started! 

Have a lovely month ahead, and happy Reading :) 

No comments: