Sunday 12 October 2014

Disappointing Reads: Batch One.


1. Karachi You're Killing Me by Saba Imtiaz: This book was so bad. Really, really bad. It was trying to hard to be funny like The Social Butterfly books but failed miserable. It wasn't funny, it was patchily written and just a terrible read. It was about female journalist, working in Karachi and trying to find love and surviving her job. It was just horrible. Have I said that already? Just don't read it.



2. Mirror City by Chitrita Banerji: Funny story, I bought this book thinking it was a new book by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, an author whose work I enjoy. I spotted this at a bookshop and picked it up. I even read the first few pages to make sure I enjoyed the book, since I wasn't a huge fan of Chitra Banerjee's last book.

Once I got this book home, I realised I had picked up the wrong book by a wrong author. But since I had bought it, I decided I must give it a shot and read it.

I didn't really hate the book. Really, I didn't hate this book but it was a disappointing book over all. It tells the story of a young Bengali woman from India who falls in love with and marries a man from Bangladesh and moves with him to Dhaka in the 1970s. Once in Dhaka, things are not going too well for the couple and the woman falls in love with another man.

It sounds interesting as a premise but the actual book and story was a let-down. There was so much missing in the book. For one, I just couldn't get a handle on why this couple had gotten together in the first place. Why she would marry this man? Why leave her family and everything else she loves behind for this man? Also there is fair amount of insta-love in this book. Now insta-love is bad enough in a YA book but in an adult novel it is revolting! Basically, a disappointing read.


3. New Girl by Paige Harbinson: Ugh! A re-telling of Rebecca and it was a train-wreck. Just horrid. Waste of time. Do not read it. Re-read Rebecca instead.


4. The Village by Nikita Lalwani: An open prison, a community set up full of convicts and a documentary being shot about them. Sounds interesting? That's what I thought. In reality, this was a pretty insipid book and kinda stupid. The main lead was a moron. The community and it's people were left unexplored and a lot of time was wasted on the romantic doubts of our moronic lead character. The end was idiotic and this is pretty much one the worst things I've ever read. Ugh!



5. Miss Timmins' School For Girls by Nayana Currimbhoy: I picked this book up for my birthday. A boarding school. Murder. Teachers with secret lives. Panchgani. 1970s. All good things. But all added up this book was a bit of a hot mess.

To be fair, parts of this book were quite nice.

The writing was decent and I enjoyed it. I actually loved the first half of this book. But in the second half the book moved to a student's perspective and that is when I lost interest. I was bored. I was pretty much done. Also, the murder mystery was poorly handled.

Not the worst book but disappointing overall for sure.



I normally don't like hating on books, at least out loud on a blog or even on Good Reads. But I felt like a bit of a hypocrite not mentioning the books I read and didn't love. It might seem like I was loving every single thing I was reading which is definitely not the case.

Now just because I didn't enjoy a book doesn't mean it's the worst thing in the world, you might still like it and if you already like it, then good. This is just my opinion.


No comments: