Friday 24 October 2014

Review: The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey {The Fifth Wave #2)


Book: The Infinite Sea

Author: Rick Yancey

Pages: 480

I Read it on: My Kindle

I Read it in: 3 hours

Plot Summary: How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.

What I Liked: As mentioned in the title, The Infinite Sea is the second book in The Fifth Wave trilogy. If you have not read The Fifth Wave, CLICK HERE to read our review of it. Now, The Fifth Wave was a pretty decent YA dystopian book with engaging characters and an interesting premise, so, even though I am fairly sick of the whole 'series' business- unless JK Rowling writes more Potter books or JRR Tolkien resurrects himself to write more Hobbit/ LOTR books- I decided to give this book a shot. 
Here is what I liked: 
  • Unlike most second books in trilogies, stuff actually happens in this book! Hallelujah! The story actually moves forward and new plot twists, new characters and a huge reveal are introduced in this book. Well done, Mr. Yancey! 
  • We get to learn about the backstories of a few supporting characters like Ringer and Poundcake, who we met in the first book but didn't get to know at a deeper level. 
  • Now some may find this annoying, but I liked the fact that the narrative moved ahead through the perspectives of multiple characters- it was not just Cassie and Evan (like it was in the first book) but there were chapters from Ringer's and Poundcake's perspective as well. 
  • The big reveal about the 'Others' (the alien race that has taken over and killed more than seven billion humans) was quite, quite interesting. I did not see this coming... and *SPOILER ALERT* this makes the series not very similar to The Host by Stephanie Meyer. Exciting. 
  • We also get to learn more about Evan's past, which is most interesting. 

What I Didn't Like: Okay, so, I liked Ringer as a character but I did not want to know that much about her. The biggest track in the book was centered around Ringer- her past, stuff that happens to her in the present etc. I was not that into her, so after a while, her bits got slightly boring for me. I would have wanted to see more Cassie and Evan interactions in this book.. their interactions and their 'love story' was a big reason why the first book was so good. I hope there is more of them in the third book. 

Rating: 4/5 
This is a good YA dystopian series- good premise, interesting characters and a pretty fast-paced narrative- if you are interested in this genre. 

No comments: