Friday 6 July 2018

Friday Favourites: Embroidered Earrings + Pasta + Journal Pages + Behold the Dreamers + Tea + Aamhi Doghi.

Hello! 

Another Friday and another batch of some of my favourite things! 

This Friday is a little bit gloomy. My sister is suffering from a bout of bronchial asthma and woke up this morning pretty much struggling to breathe. Even her usual medicine and inhalers weren't working. So after stressing out for most of this morning, we called our family doctor who came in and gave her two injections. She is feeling a lot better now and is finally napping. She has dealt with asthma her whole life and even though I've seen her struggle with breathing numerous times, it still scares me when she gets this way. 
I am so grateful to modern medicine and Doctors who help us get better. 

The plan for this weekend is to stay in and get her to rest up. 
Also maybe binge watch Sacred Games. 
I actually, have the book but I haven't read it yet (story of my life!)  I wanted to read it before watching the show but I don't honestly see that happening. Perhaps, I'll read it after! 

Now on to more cheerful things! 

Some Favourites! 


1. Super cute embroidered earrings from Tassle Life. 
How utterly darling are these! 
:) 


2. Journal pages! 
And this key shaped pen I got from Wish. It's cute and a really nice black gel pen. Smooth and light and a delight to write with. 


3. Pasta! 
My love for pasta is eternal and everlasting. Sounds a bit much?!
But it's true. It is one of my favourite foods. To both eat and cook. It's one of the first things I learnt to cook, way back when I was 17 or so. It was a basic aglio olio pasta that I learnt to cook from my bestie who in turn learnt the recipe from her boyfriend of the time. I cook pasta at least twice a day and a bowl of pasta with a dash of parmesan is my go-to-happy-meal! 


4. Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue: My current read is making me all kinds of happy. A story of immigrants from Cameroon who get entangled with the family of their employer who works for Lehman Brothers right before they crashed. 
I am a very little bit in and already this story, it's people and the writing have me completely hooked. 
I plan on reading it over the weekend. 


5. Rainy Days and Lots of Cups of Tea. 
This has largely been a wonderfully rainy week and has included many, many cups of ginger tea. Some of it to battle my sister's bronchitis but for me it was just sweet-smelling, milky, sugary masala tea. 
Ah! Bliss! 
:) 



6. Favourite Film: This week's movie recommendation is a Marathi movie called Aamhi Doghi, which means We Both. It's a wonderful film about a girl's relationship with her step-mother and the camaraderie and warmth they share. It is such a moving and delightful film. A relationship that would normally have strife and conflict is actually a relationship that is supportive and nurturing and yet not in a overtly sweet or saccharine way. It is such a good film, even if you don't understand Marathi, I'd still 100% recommend you watch it. I am fairly fluent in Marathi having been born and raised in Bombay and having had studied it in school, so I am really keen on sampling more Marathi cinema. 
I watched this on Amazon Prime, FYI. 

I hope you have a wonderful weekend and it's full of good books and good vibes! 
:) 

Happy Reading Folks! 

No comments: