Monday 13 November 2017

Book Review: Terribly Tiny Tales.


Book: Terribly Tiny Tales

Author: Various (An Anthology)

Pages: 317

Publisher: Penguin Random House India 

Read On: Paperback

How Long it Took Me to Read: 4 hours, with several breaks.

Plot Summary: A collection of Terribly Tiny Tales from 100 writers. A compilation of some of the best stories from the very popular Facebook Page.

General Thoughts: If you've been a fan of TTT then you've heard about this book- that compiles some of the most popular and best loved stories from these flash fiction gems.

Review: Things I Liked

1. I will be honest, I am not what you'd call the biggest TTT fan. I don't follow the page on FB, nor do I have the app. I have never really loved the concept of super short fiction. It's just how I am. I prefer pages and pages instead of 140 words. It's not quite my thing. So when this book arrived in the mail from Penguin for a review , I was a little unsure if I would read and enjoy the book. I thought of passing it on to someone who would appreciate it more than I was likely to. I have several friends and cousins who are OBSESSED with these stories!

BUT! WAIT! I started flipping through the book and reading and I was hooked.

2. I read this book in under 4 hours and kept flipping pages and reading the stories and enjoying them.

3. If you are already hooked to these stories then you will enjoy this book immensely. It is a collection of some of the best stories from the FB page and if you are a fan you might find some of your favourite stories in this compilation.

4. If like me, you are not someone wholly into these stories so far, you might find ones that move you and are wonderfully written.

5. I think this book works wonderfully as a coffee table book, even though it isn't traditionally a coffee table book. It's great to leave it out on your coffee table and flip through it while sipping a cup of coffee or tea. Read a few stories now and again.

I of course, read it all in one sitting like a moron! I wish I had read a few stories and really savoured this book and made it last longer. But I can go back and re-read them at a much slower pace.

6. I enjoyed most of these stories. I also loved that several of them spoke of relevant and prevalent social evils. They will move you and make you think about the state of our society.

7. Even the genre of stories were pretty diverse- contemporary stories were the most predominant kind, but there were also love stories, several twist in the tale stories ( which might I add is remarkable to do in under 140 words!) and even some horror stories. There is really something for everyone!

Things I Didn't Like: 

1. The only con I can think of is that some of the writers are repeated several times throughout the anthology and I wish we hard heard newer voices.

2. Also, since this is an anthology the quality of writing differs from one writer to another.
Therefore, some stories were brilliant while others didn't quite measure up.

Rating: 4/5

A quick and easy and a fun read. I highly, highly recommend it.

No comments: