Tuesday 11 September 2018

Book Haul: Books from BookChor + My Thoughts on Buying Old Books.

Hello! 
Hope your day is going well. 
:)
Today I want to share some books I recently got from Book Chor and share my muddled thoughts about being a germaphobe. 
So here goes..

 I have major OCD when it comes to "fresh" pieces of all things- bags, books, clothes. I have often not bought something I really liked because the store did not have an unopened/ "fresh" piece of that bag/ book/ garment etc. What!? It makes proper sense, especially when it comes to shoes, don't ever, EVER buy shoes that have been on display because so many people have worn them and worn them in. So a part of my OCD about is rooted in being sensible but most of it is in my head. I am very, very vary of second hand anything. I keep my distance from all things old.

Recently, I read this quote by Virginia Woolf that sorta, kinda broke my heart.

It goes a little something like this-

“Second hand books are wild books, homeless books; they have come together in vast flocks of variegated feather, and have a charm which the domesticated volumes of the library lack.”

I kept thinking of this quote and all the homeless books out in the world.
I have bought old books before, from Blossom Book Store in Bangalore and from little bookshops on MG Road. My OCD was a little milder then but over the last few years things got a bit much and I want to change it.
I won't lie, I will always prefer brand new books over older books. But I do see a lot of merit in buying second hand.
My OCD will not control me. My germaphobic tendencies will not stop me.

So, buying pre-owned books is a HUGE, HUGE step for me!








Parade's End is a series of three novels, which start at the beginning of World War I and spans the life of Christopher Tietjens- an honourable aristocrat- for the next ten years. We saw the TV series, er, mostly because Benedict Cumberbatch was in it! And so, now, we are excited to read the book series! 






I could do with reading some milder, happier love stories. And this collection has some amazing writers, some of whom I've read before and a ton of people I have never read before.









The Radleys is a very interesting vampire book- as you can, probably, guess from the plot summary up there!  








The Carrier just sounds super interesting! Sophie Hannah writes the new Poirot series and so, we are excited to read this book!








The Legacy sounds like a great mix of historical fiction and family secrets! Just the kind of mystery my sister likes to sink her teeth into! She'll be reading this one first! 







The House I Loved also sounds interesting. Mostly, because, I don't think we've read any fiction based on life in France in the late 19th century! And this book, which seems to address social change in the country, sounds quite interesting!







The Unseen sounds like a historical + horror combo, which is just all kinds of perfection! Can't wait to read this one! 






The Cold Season sounds wonderfully mysterious! A new village, villagers, who are behaving mysteriously! And "winter is coming"! Excited to read this one as well! 





Here is the full stack of my book haul from BookChor


BOOKS BOUGHT/// 

The Wilding by Marin McGann
A Cold Season by Alison Littlewood 
The Unseen by Katherine Webb
The House I Loved by Tatiana De Rosnay
The Legacy by Katherine Webb
Parade's End by Ford Maddox Ford 
The Carrier by Sophie Hannah 
The Radleys by Matt Haig 
The Book Lovers Appreciation Society 
Fruit of Lemon by Andrea Levy 


My future has a lot of good reading.
Happy Reading Folks :)

No comments: